Can beardies make it hard to breathe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it’s been allergy season for me since I’ve gottwn my lizard but this allergy season has been exceptionally hard for me, and I know this is about bearded dragons but....does anyone know if somehow they can affect allergies? Make asthma worse? Lol weird question I know but I was wondering if I should move him out of my bed room if that’s the case

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Isn't it moving into spring where you are ? .... I'd say if you were going to have an allergic reaction to having a pet dragon you would have noticed as soon as you got him (months ? ago).

More likely you are reacting seasonal changes in your location - air born pollens , etc.

I assume you have no sands or other particle type bedding material in the dragon's viv. If you do, then this is bad for the dragon , and will definitely contribute to your respiratory issues too - airborn virus/bacteria and fungal spores.

There is also the possibility you are allergic to the fras (poo) produced by the feeder insects you are buying for your pet, this can be quite fine and "dusty" depending on what you feed to the insects. I'd move the insects into another room and see if that makes a difference.

Kristen2018

Original Poster
Matang613":1yn0607v said:
I second what kingofnobbys said... especially the last bit. A sudden allergy to insect fras is surprisingly common. Some suggest you don't breed insects for that reason. Prolonged exposure can cause an allergy to develop.
Thank you for your help. Both of you :) I’ll be more careful when dealing w the crickets. They’re not in my room and never were Bc they stink but maybe when I feed him they make my allergies worse

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Kristen2018":34ejhvg9 said:
Matang613":34ejhvg9 said:
I second what kingofnobbys said... especially the last bit. A sudden allergy to insect fras is surprisingly common. Some suggest you don't breed insects for that reason. Prolonged exposure can cause an allergy to develop.
Thank you for your help. Both of you :) I’ll be more careful when dealing w the crickets. They’re not in my room and never were Bc they stink but maybe when I feed him they make my allergies worse

The crickets shouldn't stink .

I've been using live crickets as my skinks' and dragons' staple feeder insect for over 10yrs and the only time they smell is when either
>> you are not removing the carrot chunks and they are going moldy
>> you are leaving dead crickets in the tub - stink really bad - like rotten prawns
>> you are not removing the fras often enough and it becomes flyblown (maggoty).

I suggest >
replace the carrot chunks used to feed and hydrate the crickets as soon as they start looking / feeling slimy - (every 2 or 3 days in summer heat, twice a week in winter when it's cooler)
+
remove all sick crickets before they die - the local wild lizards/frogs/birds will enjoy them
+
never leave dead crickets in the cricket tub/s
+
invest in a few of these >> https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/ezy-storage-30l-file-box-clear-jb32lfilcl?cm_mmc=Google:SEM:Shopping:plastic%20File%20Boxes-_-JB32LFILCL&cm_mmca1=NULL&cm_mmca3=conversion&cm_mmca9=columbus&CAWELAID=620015440000962871&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=34671769842&CATCI=pla-297095697353&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_ov9jNfK2gIVnQgqCh0NfwoREAQYAyABEgIxx_D_BwE , I use two of these to place my crickets (in old Piscus Cricket tubs each containing 80-90 medium crickets) in , I buy my crickets in batches of 1000.
+
only wet food I give my crickets are chunks of carrot (for gutloading and a water source) & buk or puk choi greens (one leaf per tub a few days before I use that tub of crickets as feeders), I feed the crickets dry RepCal Adult Bearded Dragon Pellets straight from the bottle (they love them).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom