Bioactive for beardies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashuurrii

So I'm been doing research and trying to figure out if I should switch to bioactive. Atm I'm just using tile and paper tile which is fine but I'd like my beardies tank to look more natural. Guess my questions are Has anyone had any experience and would be willing to help me set something up and what would be a cheaper option to use as a substrate and so on? I know the biodude has his kit but it's a bit pricey

Thanks

Ash and Calcifer

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Bioactive for beardies is very tricky and dangerous, it has to be done very correctly for the beardie to live a proper healthy life without any problems. And it does cost a lot to do.
Vet bills are pretty expensive so the cost of substrate is probably the least of what you should be worrying about.

Personally I'd say minimum for a tank thats bioactive would be 6x2x3 at the very least, 6 being the length, 2 being width and 3 being height however I've seen one person do a fairly good bioactive enclosure thats 4x2x4 I believe with tons of climbing space, tons of basking options and tons of options for UVB levels.

You want to have tons of climbing space, this is very important even when not doing bioactive as they are semi aboral lizards however if you dont offer enough climbing space in a tank thats bioactive they will get fungal infections, scale rot, joint issues, basically all of this bad stuff that is caused by being on a damp substrate and not being able to get out of it.

truecolor.jpg

This isn't mine but its the enclosure that I was talking about thats 4x2x4.

Personally if I did bioactive Id do a 6x3x4 or a 6x4x4. It would have tons of climbing space, shelves, rocky outcrops, branches, logs with different temperatures and UVB levels and then for substrate there would at least be 3 feet of hard rocky/clay on one side with hides and basking areas and then about 3 feet of either biodudes saharah mix or my own mix on the other side with a low wattage heat lamp, and LED lights just to light/warm the area up slightly to about 80 or so and also provide light for the plants if I did put any. Most likely a aloe vera plant, maybe some good cacti and elephant feed.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Just a head's up....aloe vera is toxic if eaten so that would be ruled out in a beardie vivarium.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
:banghead: :banghead: I Also read that aloe vera was safe if eaten for beardies. Good thing I didn't try to feed any of the beardies that.

Ashuurrii

Original Poster
I was definietly going to wait a bit before I even thought about it and I'd get him a nice big tank for sure. Also I didnt know that about beardies not being able to have Aloe. I read they could do that's good to know. I was more so curious if ideas before I 100% decide if i want to do it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom