Is it okay to take Bearded Dragon outside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bweiser18

So today feels like the first spring day! 72 and sunny so I decided to hold my 4 month old bearded dragon and take him outside for a few minutes to get some real sun and to see the outside world he’s never seen before. He started to get so squirmy and then he froze! He put his tail straight up in the air and his head in the air without puffing his beard and just didn’t move so I didn’t know if he liked it or if he was scared or just smelled so many different smells all at once. He did see the neighbors dog across the fence but he wasn’t barking. Do any of you guys take your dragons out for fresh air outside every once in awhile?

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Just took two of my reptiles outside today, one a tegu and the other a beardie. Of course one by one as two different captive reptiles outside in a whole new world is very stressing for them and myself to handle.

I'd suggest getting a leash and or building a small outdoor enclosure with a plywood base and then some sort of mesh that is big enough to let a lot of UVB in but not enough where the dragon cant escape.

Beardies, and most other reptiles that have never been outside are very scared of it. Even taking them outside multiple times doesn't get them used to it sometimes. Luckily my tegu is a bit okay with it although does get fairly spooked by birds and any other noise.

Inside a house theres a limited amount of space, few different smells and not much noise and they are used to that. Then you take that animal and put it outside where theres limitless amount of space, so much noise, tons of birds and lots of smells and that really frightens them a bit.

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
Unfortunately the way my condo is built I don't think I could take him outside as my deck has the full brick front on the deck area and it's also on the top floor of the condo building (building is a lower level main lobby level with a couple units and the second level where I'm at).

Haven't tried using a leash on her yet either. From nose to tail I estimate she's about 11 inches but I don't let her half free reign of my house because most of the flooring in my condo is carpeting aka not beardie friendly.

However that being said Mystic looks AWESOME and such a beautiful beardie. I'm glad they like the outdoors so well.

KozmoRox

Same here! It's 78 and Kozmo LOVES :love5: being out in the sunshine. We usually go out when it's sunny and over 70. She does spook sometimes from overhead big birds and airplanes, and sometimes when the neighbor's dog barks, but she really enjoys feeling Wild & free!

89207-3734358652.jpg
from today 8)
89207-4793501608.jpg
and a few weeks back.

Steve1878

Hatchling Member
I got a nice big rabbit run for mine just waiting for the weather to improve so I can let her run around in it for the first time

dezismom

Juvie Member
Dezi loves the sunshine out doors! His first few times, he was very scared, but on my lap, he learned to enjoy it. I First got him used to his harness and leash, which I always use when he is outdoors, on the chance that he would get spooked, and bolt.

He is too big for the store bought harnesses, so I made one for him, using the hardware from a store bought one. It is more comfortable, and especially designed to accommodate his magnificent beard. The first harness was a disaster. He spooked, inflated his beard, and the harness choked him. Suddenly, I had a terrified Dezi thrashing about and turning black! I couldnt get it off him fast enough, ended up cutting it off him. I felt like a bad owner. But, he settled down, and we tried a better design, home made, and it worked just great.

At four months, Beardies are still a bit skittish (they settle down considerably around six months old)...but if you have had him all this time, he has bonded with you, and if you have been handling him so that he has complete trust in you keeping him safe, then he should be okay out on your lap. Let him get completely accustomed to the outdoors while on your lap, before even attempting letting him go freely, and always have him on leash for safety. To get him used to the harness and leash, let him wear them around the house several times, before going outside.

Oh! And always touch any surface, before placing him on it...sidewalks can get very hot, and burn his tender underbelly.

Dezi demonstrates his harness and leash, while outside on my lap...he loves the sunshine!
82765-7119748513.jpg

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Hello,

I Agree with everyone here. Letting your beardie out in the sun is the BEST thing for them. :) My girls Cisco and Daisy love to free roam (under my watchful eye) outside and eat all the dandelions. :D View media item 60434
Just make sure to always watch them and ALWAYS be on the lookout for hawks and Using a harness is helpful too.
Steve1878":1pvli8od said:
I got a nice big rabbit run for mine just waiting for the weather to improve so I can let her run around in it for the first time
This could also help with keeping them contained.

-HippieLizards.

Martadragon017

Hatchling Member
HippieLizards":27m1p3em said:
Hello,

I Agree with everyone here. Letting your beardie out in the sun is the BEST thing for them. :) My girls Cisco and Daisy love to free roam (under my watchful eye) outside and eat all the dandelions. :D View media item 60434
Just make sure to always watch them and ALWAYS be on the lookout for hawks and Using a harness is helpful too.
Steve1878":27m1p3em said:
This could also help with keeping them contained.

-HippieLizards.
My Marta loves to go out and eat all the EVERYTHINGS. :lol: I always worry that she'll eat something poisonous so I put her only in clover patches, although that may be the problem since she loves clovers... And also yes, I agree with everyone here too. Marta loves getting her sunlight! When she's not eating, that is... :lol:

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Lol, Your dragon sounds just like my Cisco.. When she's not basking in the sunlight she's mowing the lawn. Lol.

Actually my beardies love eating outside so much that they mainly eat their greens outside only. Lol so I have to bring their greens outside and they'll eat it all in the blink of an eye. :lol:

SkyfangRauss

Hatchling Member
agni HATES being outdoors. i think its mostly because we have a major highway that runs right next to my house, and all the giant fast moving objects scare him, but he absolutely loathes being outside, even if he can't see the highway.

Yes, it is generally okay. However, do not stress your bearded dragon by forcing him/her to go outside. Bearded dragon's are usually pretty cooperative, but mine have also done this. For the most part, I suggest taking them out a bit later. When they are older, I feel like they will cooperate better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom