Hot glue for ledge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought two mushroom Ledges for my son's beardie tank I was wondering if I could use hot glue instead of the silicone to put them on only because I have nowhere to put him for 24 hours while silicone dries

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How much weight are they going to support? I wouldn't trust it with a ton of weight. You might have trouble getting it to hold to a smooth surface. It's not toxic though which is nice. I'd try it out and test it with a bit of force first to make sure it is stable after it dries.

Catzo

I personally wouldnt trust it. But I wouldnt trust silicone either. Hot glue is great I probably have hot glue somewhere or other in half my reptile vivs but never to support any weight.

Michelle6653

Original Poster
Ok thank you very much. I did put glue In his gerbils
Tank and it held up for a bit but did eventually fell down

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Hot glue is not actually a glue , it is not actually sticky , it is simply a plastic that turns liquid when hot and has a very low viscosity and surface tension (means the bead spreads out and wets the surface) and it relies on air pressure to hold objects in place , the liquid "glue" excludes air and hardens on cooling keeping air away from the joint, works fine until air eventually seeps into the join or something bends , then it fails .

I wouldn't trust it for supporting anything heavier than a few ounces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom