Hot glue for ledge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought two mushroom Ledges for my son's beardie tank I was wondering if I could use hot glue instead of the silicone to put them on only because I have nowhere to put him for 24 hours while silicone dries

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How much weight are they going to support? I wouldn't trust it with a ton of weight. You might have trouble getting it to hold to a smooth surface. It's not toxic though which is nice. I'd try it out and test it with a bit of force first to make sure it is stable after it dries.

Catzo

I personally wouldnt trust it. But I wouldnt trust silicone either. Hot glue is great I probably have hot glue somewhere or other in half my reptile vivs but never to support any weight.

Michelle6653

Original Poster
Ok thank you very much. I did put glue In his gerbils
Tank and it held up for a bit but did eventually fell down

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Hot glue is not actually a glue , it is not actually sticky , it is simply a plastic that turns liquid when hot and has a very low viscosity and surface tension (means the bead spreads out and wets the surface) and it relies on air pressure to hold objects in place , the liquid "glue" excludes air and hardens on cooling keeping air away from the joint, works fine until air eventually seeps into the join or something bends , then it fails .

I wouldn't trust it for supporting anything heavier than a few ounces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom