3 month old beardie diet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently, I got a baby bearded dragon from a friend who- to put it nicely- was not caring for him well. I recently purchased zoo med UVB and UVA basking lights, though I would like to switch to the reptisun brand in the near future. I also purchased thermometers for both sides of the terrarium as well as objects for my beardie to climb/bask on. The girl who had him before me had NONE of this. Sad, right? However, one thing I am confused about is the diet for my baby beardie. He's so small right now that I just don't know what to feed him. I've been giving him raw asparagus, peeled cucumbers, strawberries, and blueberries. I purchased a protein powder for dusting his live food in. However, the girl before me could not get him to eat live crickets, and quite frankly neither can I. So, I purchased Fluker's Buffet Blend Juvenile Bearded Dragon Food. I was wondering what else I should do. I'm totally new to this and I need all the help I can get. Please critique me and give me advice!!

Thank you
-Madeline

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
3 month old:

MINIMUM two (2) feeds of live insects per day (as many insects per meal as it will eat)
best options are
>>>> large BSFL (get the active white lavae)
>>> silkworms (can handle silkworms as long as 30mm)
>>> 1/4 size to 1/3 size crickets ( ie small to medium size ) , gutloaded with high calcium leafy greens and adult beardie pellets ( these are very good cricket food ) , all dusted LIGHTLY with calcium dust/powder.
>>> similar sized roaches or locusts see above.

Offer shredded high calcium leafy greens and grated vegs daily BUT if the hatchling ignores the salad don't worry , just give the stuff left to the crickets/roaches/locusts.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
madeline99":3r4fcpnd said:
Recently, I got a baby bearded dragon from a friend who- to put it nicely- was not caring for him well. I recently purchased zoo med UVB and UVA basking lights, though I would like to switch to the reptisun brand in the near future. I also purchased thermometers for both sides of the terrarium as well as objects for my beardie to climb/bask on. The girl who had him before me had NONE of this. Sad, right? However, one thing I am confused about is the diet for my baby beardie. He's so small right now that I just don't know what to feed him. I've been giving him raw asparagus, peeled cucumbers, strawberries, and blueberries. I purchased a protein powder for dusting his live food in.
hatchings and juveniles REQUIRE LIVE INSECTS EVERY DAY .... the diet you mention is NOT APPROPRIATE and will result in a failure to grow and thrive. At 3 months old , the minimum is two live insect feeds per day and veg and salad are optional EXTRAS.
The insect proteins and fats are NECESSARY for the young dragon to grow and develop , live insects are NOT OPTIONAL for dragons under 18 months old.

However, the girl before me could not get him to eat live crickets, and quite frankly neither can I.
<<<< it may be requires hand feeding or trying another insect species , silkworms usually work very well as a feeder insect .

<<<<if he refuses to catch the insects , handfeeding is relatively easy , and a better fall back is Repashi GrubPie (this is made from BSFL) and given as paste and people have used it as a staple in emergencies.

So, I purchased Fluker's Buffet Blend Juvenile Bearded Dragon Food. I was wondering what else I should do. I'm totally new to this and I need all the help I can get. Please critique me and give me advice!!
<<< https://www.ebay.com.au/i/273103799662?chn=ps&dispItem=1 Buffet blend is very poor nutritionally .... feed it to the chooks or the local wild birds , not to your hatchling dragon as it will NOT provide the right mix of nutrients to it and will likely end up causing impaction and fatty liver desease.

<<<< that stuff is rubbish

Thank you
-Madeline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly_Eaton
Top Bottom