Bearded dragon age?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hannahhhh

I'm very unsure of my beardie's age. I got him December 8 2017 and the guy I got it from said he is *maybe* around 6 weeks. I'm not sure exactly how old he is if that is true he would be around 4 months but to me he looks to big to be 4 months. He is probably like 12 inches long so that leads me to believe he is between 6-8 months? Also I recently within the month can now sex him and I found out that he really is a he. I'm asking this because I need to know what to do for his diet. He is RAVENOUS. He eats probably 200 black soldier fly larvae a day but he would eat more like 200-400 if I let him. I as well feed him collard greens, acorn squash, prickly pear, etc. He gets collard greens every day. I'm afraid I'm feeding him too much but when I feed him less he acts completely starved he will look around frantically for food. I have no idea how old he is or if how much he eats is normal?

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
12 inches for a 4 month old beardie sounds normal.
I don't exactly know what my two, two year old beardies were when they were 4 months of age as I got them at 6 months of age but I do know my one year old beardie was about 10 inches at 4 months old. Then grew about 3 inches more the following month.
If you had a beardie that was 12 inches and 8 months old that would be a bit odd and you would want to question your lighting possibly.

How big was he when you got him?

BSFL are quite small and sometimes takes more to fill a dragon up compared to crickets/roaches, though 200 sounds like quite a lot for one small dragon.

Hannahhhh

Original Poster
VenusAndSaturn":2c9zk7mc said:
12 inches for a 4 month old beardie sounds normal.
I don't exactly know what my two, two year old beardies were when they were 4 months of age as I got them at 6 months of age but I do know my one year old beardie was about 10 inches at 4 months old. Then grew about 3 inches more the following month.
If you had a beardie that was 12 inches and 8 months old that would be a bit odd and you would want to question your lighting possibly.

How big was he when you got him?

BSFL are quite small and sometimes takes more to fill a dragon up compared to crickets/roaches, though 200 sounds like quite a lot for one small dragon.

He was probably about 6 inches long when I first got him. The only reason I thought he may be closer to 6 months is because I can pretty definetly sex him and I was under the impression that 4 months is a bit early to be able to sex a bearded dragon idk tho

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
If your eyes are trained enough you could probably see a hatchlings gender fairly easy.
I sexed my friends 1-2 month beardie pretty easily. Of course some at that age would be harder to sex.
6 inches sounds about 1-2 months of age.

dezismom

Juvie Member
Beardies can vary considerably in size, from four months to a year old, so yours is not too big, or too small. It is normal for them to eat like piggies!! So, let him! As you do, keep offering him salad daily, but it is not unusual for them to prefer live protien while less than a year old, due to the spectacular growth rate. I would offer a good variety of live protiens. I offer mine superworms, mealworms, waxworms, in that order, every day. Always, I offer crickets. I would dust them with calcium/vit. D powder every day, until he is over his fast growth period (usually, about a year old, but again, it varies) and also a general vitamin supplement made especially for reptiles,a few times a week. If you would like recommendations, contact me. At his age, and at the fast growth rate, it is super important to be sure they are getting plenty of good nutrition, heat for metabolizing and digestion, and UVB for bone growth. If needed, there is plenty of info about that on this site.

I have no experience with feeding BSFL, but I remember that at that age, my boy ate an astonishing amount of crickets and worms. With live food, the general rule is, do not feed anything that would not fit in the space between the eyes of your Beardie. They can choke on larger prey, and also they have a gag reflex that can be triggered, and larger food is a danger to them. But, with his appetite, bigger food than what you are feeding may be something to consider.

There is some controversy about superworms being too big, etc, but I have never had a problem. Waxworms, while generally loved by Dragons, are so full of fat, they are like us eating a candy bar:good for quick energy, but not good, as a regular diet source. I offer them as a treat, only. They are good to tempt a Beardie who is ill and has lost his appetite. Sounds as if your boy does not have that particular problem!

What is your Beardies name? Can you send a photo? (the only thing as good to us as looking at our own Beardies photos, is to look at everyone elses Beardies photos!??)

My big boy is three years old, adorable, and a full two feet long. I love every inch of him!
Here is DeziLu, saying "welcome to our wonderful site!"
82765-3119926937.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Hannah, the bsfl are way too small if he'l eat more than 200 so you are spending a lot of extra money ! Go for the largest size or get other feeders like crickets, dubia and supoerworms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom