14 hour car ride baby dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nelly234

I have a baby dragon, not bigger then my three fingers. I want to travel from NYC to new orleans, maybe alittle longer then 14 hours. I'm not sure if I feel safe leaving him for 10 days with my grandma, and also I will miss him. Do you think I can travel with him? And if so, how? Also, for his set up while there, will he be okay in a 10 gallon tank with a T5 uvb light and a basking area? Any advice/thoughts? Thank you

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's tougher with a baby. They need a lot of attention and feeding. Generally they can handle car rides pretty well but that's much easier when they're older. If you can leave him in his familiar environment with someone who can check on him regularly and give him bug feedings every day it will probably be best for him, especially if it's only for 10 days.

If you do decide to bring him with you, I would get a pet carrier that you can strap into a seatbelt. These offer soft bottoms and plenty of ventilation. They do fine at normal car temperatures but you may want to have a hand warmer or two so you can put it under a towel or blanket to keep him warm if you stop for meals. Keeping a tub of black soldier fly larvae is the easiest for travel since they just do their thing in an easy to carry container. I would bring an adjustable lamp stand with a dome fixture and a good mercury vapor bulb (PowerSun 100w, MegaRay 100w) that will provide a good basking site for him while you are at your destination. A large clear plastic bin should do for temporary housing. You could use a foldable child's playpen too but I'd use one that has solid sides at least near the bottom because they are pretty good at climbing up the mesh.

Nelly234

Original Poster
97717-1731560440.jpg
Sorry I did not see that anyone replied after. I should put him in a medium storage bin? Do I set up the same lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom