Dig boxes.What's your opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a beardie, mushu, that I believe would be called a Sub-Adult. I got him when he was around six inches long. I'm estimating around a year and three months. I also have a juvenile, yoshi, who is around five months old, also male. I've never used sand for substrate for various reasons, like the risk of impaction, it also seems like more work. Could I put a dig box in with mushu? Any pros or cons about this? I don't want to do it if it could be bad for him. How would I go about making a dig box if it's ok? What type of sand?

Mushu
89898-712121665.jpg
89898-6661623306.jpg

Yoshi
89898-4536582152.jpg

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
They're a good option to offer and really good for female bearded dragons however most enclosures are a bit small to offer room to run around, bask and have enough space for a dig area/box 24/7.

If I honestly had enough room i'd have each of my three beardies in 6x2x3 enclosures with a nice dig area in one of the corners that would be deep enough for tunneling and or egg laying if they wanted to. Maybe even an 8x2x3 enclosure. I may love my reptiles, especially the beardies a tad too much...

I've found it a bit hard to provide a proper dig box/area in a 75 gallon as most of the time my two females never used them when offered so it ends up taking a lot of space up. It really depends on the individual tank size and everything.

As for the substrate that goes into the dig box it varies a bit. Just depends on what works best for you and holds better burrows.
You can use regular washed children's play sand. A mixture of regular washed children's play sand and vermiculite, just plain soil with nothing added into it at all, or a soil and sand mixture, soil an sand and vermiculite mixture. Just depends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LiamYe
Top Bottom