Beardie & new puppy - any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tammy94

Hi there,

We are getting a new puppy next week and whilst we are very excited I want to make sure that this does not upset my beardie as much as possible. Let me make it clear that I never have intention of the two coming face to face, I don't care what people say, animals have instincts and it is just not worth the risk for me.

I was just wondering if i'm following the right guidelines to make sure my beardie is stress free:

- puppy wont be allowed into beardies room unless we are in there and tank will remain closed/locked at all times
- we will train puppy from the get go not to bark so to not stress out the beardie
- puppy will not be allowed to jump up at the tank
- will clean anything that comes in contact with both creatures as much as possible

My beardie does occasionally like to come out, his favourite spot is our bedroom which unfortunately will be the puppies room... When he wants out i plan to shut him in there and take puppy out and just let him do his thing.

Is there anything else other than the points i mentioned that i should be weary about?

Thank you

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That all sounds pretty good. Puppies can be a little crazy sometimes so as long as he is kept calm and generally away from the dragon then it should be OK. I think the energy and movement of a puppy may cause stress since they want to jump around and play with anything and everything. This should be minimized by the plan you outlined.

Tammy94

Original Poster
Thanks for confirming that Cooperdragon :)

Just want to make sure my little beardie is happy. I don't think he will feel pushed out at all because he's generally not all that keen on cuddles (he's always been happier left to his own devices) so providing he's not stressed I feel like i've done my job!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom