HELP!! MISSING DRAGON

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToniYin

I let my beardie out of the tank while I was cleaning my room after I finished I sat on my bed and watched a short video and usually he's always sleeping behind his tank but she wasn't there. I have checked everywhere he could possibly be in the room and all of down stairs because my door was open I really don't think he could climb up the 2 sets of stairs it takes to get upstairs because they're made of wood and if he did, we all would have heard it!! I've never lost him before and it's been over an hour with no sign of him I'm starting to get really worried does anyone have suggestions on where he could be or places I may not have checked? I hate that this had to be my first forum post but I'm just so worried :(
TLDR:
My dragon is lost downstairs in my house
No sign of him for over an hour

Caine

First, don't panic. Your bearded dragon is an animal designed to survive in averse and sub-perfect conditions. They will be able to survive for however long it takes you to find them.

I suggest baiting the dragon with plates of their favourite food left lying around.

Remove any potential hazards for him, and make sure there are no open windows or doors, be careful when you open or close any doors to make sure he isnt waiting to make a break for it.

Do not immediately sit on any sofas or large furnishings that he could have hidden in, incase he has burrowed into the workings.

Make sure there arent any holes into the walls.

Check upstairs anyways. No matter how unlikely, you'll kick yourself if he is upstairs and you didn't check.

How is he doing now? Still MIA?

ToniYin

Original Poster
Still missing, I'll check upstairs anyway but I feel like I've checked everywhere possible downstairs, no closets were open no doors leading outside were open I've checked under every sofa every piece of furniture it's like he's vanished. So unlike him :( and he's not one to chase after food but I can try that anyway

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Gave some places to look here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=239755.

Any chance he's slipped under a door , through an open door into the garage if the it's attached to the house ? or to go outside (if he's gone outside you need to find him VERY FAST if it's freezing outside as he WILL NOT SURVIVE BEING FROZEN.

ToniYin

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":6ov6w5hy said:

Any chance he's slipped under a door , through an open door into the garage if the it's attached to the house ? or to go outside (if he's gone outside you need to find him VERY FAST if it's freezing outside as he WILL NOT SURVIVE BEING FROZEN.
Front door and garage door are sealed, no way he could have gone through those although they were closed I checked all the closets down stairs. I live in a desert so our winters not bad at all I feel like I've flipped this place looking for him :(

Martadragon017

Hatchling Member
Yeah, you can look through the thread kingofnobbys linked, also check in some places that might be warmer than the rest and try and see if there are any small cracks leading under a fridge or behind a dishwasher. Maybe under a bed? I hope you find your beardie.

Martadragon017

Hatchling Member
Also, do you have any other pets like a cat or a dog that would free roaming throughout the house? If you do, try and see if they seem intent on sitting near/watching a certain place. If they are guarding a certain place, that may be where your dragon is hiding.

ToniYin

Original Poster
I have 2 little dogs that usually bark up a storm when they see him so I just thought it was so weird that they show no interest in looking for him :( I know there's no way they ate him. (No teeth to old and they're scared of him) I scanned the backyard twice yesterday I'm starting to think he went out through the back and got lost :'( we've moved every appliance to look for him and still nothing

Caine

Any suspicion is a good one. As in the linked thread, check warm, dark places like clothes etc.

If you think he might be lost in the wild, dont be scared to put up some wanted posters or do some searching yourself. he wouldn't have travelled far.

ToniYin

Original Poster
Still no sign of him took apart the sofas today to see if he was in the cushions, looked through the back yard again, looked through the front yard, relooked everywhere I looked previously :( it's like he vanished

I'll go ahead and try to put up signs

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Have you flipped the sofa over and looked to see if it's possible for him to crawl / climb in from underneath - the cloth on the bottom of these is often only stapled on and they can find a loose area and squeeze / push through and get inside where the webbing is and even up inside the back rest.

You may need to pull the cloth off the bottom and take a good look with torch and even have good feel with your hand .... chances are he's in there.

If you have drapes that come very close to the floor, check on top of them or between the pleats (?) , dragon, especially little hatchings are very good climbers !!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
ToniYin":3iawr7k7 said:
kingofnobbys":3iawr7k7 said:

Front door and garage door are sealed, no way he could have gone through those although they were closed I checked all the closets down stairs. I live in a desert so our winters not bad at all I feel like I've flipped this place looking for him :(

If it's never colder than 10 degC ,a hatchling can likely survive a while, you mention a desert area, if in USA, the risks are neighbourhood free roaming cats , snakes , hawks, owls, coyotes . So unless he's found a good spot under the house , even up into the exterior walls if cavity brick or timber cladding, or buried himself in the mulch / woodchips or soil in the flower beds or under shrubs , or even up a tree , he's going to find it hard to survive in the wild .
If he can get away from overnight frosts , he stands a chance.

One of guy I know off who lives in Western Australia lost his juvenile shingleback skink a few months ago , had seen a large wild python in the shed and assumed the worse , his shingle was found one day last week basking on the driveway , none the worse for the adventure - note though he lives in the natural range of the species of shingle back skink he has as pets so it's chances of survival in the wild are good even though he is in suburbia (cat's, dogs, cars).

ToniYin

Original Poster
Gonna look more thoroughly through the backyard today and try the insides of the couches but as of yet still no sign of him. He's a big boy over a year old which is why I'm concerned because he's kind of hard to miss I feel like I should have found him by now :(

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Every time I let Mystic out, he’s determined to find a new place to hide. He loves cold dark places. You would be surprised how fast he disappears. They do like to flatten out and go under closet doors, inside of a shoe, under a very low bookcase from behind. The last time I lost Mystic, I thought for sure I would never find him, 2 days went by & I had given up looking. Went to the basement & out of the corner of my eye, there he was, behind the hot water heater & furnace covered in cobwebs. I think he wanted to be found, time before that he was hiding in the Christmas tree. I hope you can find yours, they are pretty smart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom