Brumation okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Picklepies

Hatchling Member
Hi everyone, both my beardies are in brumation, and I wanted to make sure I'm doing everything okay? Jubsie is 1yr 6 months and Peaches is just over 4yrs.

They both had a general check up in November, and everything was good, and they started brumation late December, I check on them weekly to offer water on snouts, which they often take, and then put them under the basking spot to get some heat and snout dry off. Their lights are kept on, with a basking area of 40C surrounding 34C and cool end of 24C, and a new (1/1/18) arcadia T8 12% bulb. They both had big poos right before, but have eaten odds and ends of veg and the occasional locust and haven't pooed since, is this okay?

They have both decided to sleep in their 'blanket caves', which is a shelf with pillows underneath and a blanket draped over the top, this makes it fairly easy to check on them as I can just lift up the blanket, but I try and refrain myself!

Also how long might this last for? When we first got Peaches he went into a 'late brumation' according to the vet, where he gained weight, felt safe, and caught up on his 'missed' winter brumation around April last year, I assume he's okay to brumate now again as the vet didn't say different? He brumated for about 2 months then, would it be safe to assume the same amount of time? (I just miss them lol)

*they are both in seperate cages, but lights, set up and furniture is the same so I didn't do the cage set ups separately :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah that sounds good to me. I would check and log their weight when you have them up for water. That way you can be sure they aren't losing much. My dragon was brumating for just about 3 months but some of them go for longer. It sounds like you have everything under control.

Picklepies

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hlthanks cooper :) I weigh them weekly and try and bathe/water at the same time, so far no weight lost (+- 2g or so). They both seem to be waking up at the moment, so fibers crossed :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom