New beardie seems to like it cold

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDShizzy

I just brought my lil guy (Mick) home yesterday, and he was very freaked out. He seems to be around a year old, and his old living conditions were definitely sub par, but now he is starting a much better and healthier life with me :D . I have a few questions however, so thanks so much if you take the time to read and answer!

Mick seems to like the cool side of his tank which is at 76 degrees right now (also I'm concerned that's too cold). His basking spot on the other side is made of a hammock that was suctioned around 6 inches below the ceramic heat lamp. The temp was around 95 degrees, and after getting home from the pet store I put him down on this hammock thinking he would want to warm up. After sitting still for a few hours, he wandered up to the opposite side of the hammock, on the cool side. At first I didn't think anything of it, but he has been over 24 hours and he hasn't moved much at all. I just want to make sure this is normal.

I did move him closer to the warmer side and he stayed there for a little bit before jumping off the hammock into his water dish and slamming his little hands on the front glass (also the door to the terrarium). He scared the crap out of me and then walked out of the water dish, over his food dishes of untouched veggies and dubia, and back up to the cool side of the hammock.

Since then I've lowered the basking spot and right now it's around 85 degrees but that seems cold to me. Mick stayed in the cool corner all night last night, and I'm worried it got too cold, but he seems to seek out the cold...? Is it weird for bearded dragons to prefer cooler temperatures? Should I lower the temperature in the whole tank? Also he seems to dislike the ceramic tiles, and I'm worried they are getting too hot on the heated side? I'm new to all of this and I'm just looking or a little guidance. Thanks so much everyone!

Also I don't know how this would effect him but he ate one shredded piece of collard greens out of my hand, and I spritzed his mouth with water which he licked off. He isn't hungry but I expected that what with him only being here for a day and some change, he's probably stressed out of his mind.

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
Well, given that he's not eating, there's no need to digest any food and basking would just use up more energy. If you have a temp gun, you should check the temp of the tiles to see if they're too hot. Plus, beardies get their heat from the Sun so I'd imagine that they're a bit less tolerant when it comes to belly heat. Sitting on the cool side all the time isn't normal behavior. If you're not already, perhaps get him something like a branch so he has an option as to how high and how much heat he is receiving. Or, if the tank is reaching too high temperatures, get a weaker bulb and see if it will offer the ideal temperature. Also, if you're using an analog stick on thermometer, you should get a temp gun. I have stick on thermometers in my tank but already know that the temperature in the tank so I don't rely on the stick on thermometer's readings.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. I just wanted to add he needs a bright white basking light. CHE is for night if your house gets below 65. The bright white light needs to be next to the uvb light. What kind does she/he have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom