I put sand in my tank before i learned it wasn't a good idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

eliman7

So i put zoo meds reptisand in my terrarium. Now Elric the bearded dragon is living in there. i learned that sand wasn't a good idea and i just happen to have another tank. Should i use my spare tank as a tank to feed live food or a feeding tank so he dosen't swallow sand along with his food? A suggestion would be much appreciated thx! :D

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
I'd remove the sand entirely from his current tank, even if you feed elsewhere he still will get sand into his digestive system. They lick their surroundings on a near daily basis, even adults. So over the years sand builds up over time and causes impaction and then death if untreated. Sometimes it only takes a month for it to happen. Maybe a weak, depending on how old your beardie and its health it may be sooner or later.

Here is a list of substrates to avoid and the reasons,
Calci-sand / Vita-sand - Turns into concrete in the stomach of the animal slowly killing it over time and causing impaction, a prolapse, possible eye infections and fungal infections.
Ground walnut shells - Quite sharp, usually cuts the animals eyes and intestines when ingested. Usually ends in death, and eye infections. (Imagine walking on sharp tiny needles poking into you 24/7)
Colored sand - Causes impaction, can cause a prolapse, eye infections, fungal infections, and stained scales.
Washed playsand - Impaction, prolapse, eye infection, fungal infections.
Reptibark / Cypress mulch - Impaction, prolapse, possible fungal infections.
Gravel / rocks - Impaction, prolapse, possible fungal infections. (depends on size most likely)

List of safe substrates and reasons,
Paper towels - Easy clean up, no bacteria breeding grounds, no impaction, no eye infections, no prolapses, usually a house hold item.
Tile - Easy clean up, no bacteria breeding grounds, easy to sanitize (bake at 250*f for 30 minutes), no impaction, no prolapses, keeps nails trimmed.
Non adhesive shelf liner - Easy clean up, no bacteria breeding grounds, lighter than tile, no impaction, no prolapses.
News paper - Easy clean up, no bacteria breeding grounds, no impaction, no eye infections, no prolapses, usually a house hold item. (make sure the ink is non toxic, dont get it wet)

List of risky substrates,
Organic soil - Possible impaction, fungal infections, prolapses, eye infections, raises humidity, breeding ground for bacteria.
Eco earth - Possible impaction, fungal infections, prolapses, eye infections, raises humidity, breeding ground for bacteria.
Reptisoil - Impaction, fungal infections, prolapses, eye infections, raised humidity, breeding ground for bacteria.
Jungle mix - Possible impaction, fungal infections, prolapses, eye infections, raised humidity, breeding ground for bacteria.

I really like using mostly paper towels and tile, i prefer a mix of both, tiles as the main flooring and paper towels underneath the hides for digging.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom