Just a couple ofquestions..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve1878

Hatchling Member
1 soil in viv... recently my 1 year old has refused to eat and keeps wood surfing. Having eliminated all other possibilities replacing uv tube triple checking temps etc I thought maybe egg laying time (or rather tracie mentioned it as a possibility). So I've filled a shoe box with loose damp soil and was going to leave it in the cold end of the viv for her as even if she isn't having eggs I thought the digging opportunity might calm down the wood surfing so is this ok? Obviously I'll keep an eye on the humidity.

2 as she'seating next to no if any live food but is at least picking at her greens is it ok to dust them with calcium or will it out her off?

3 I've started leaving a few hoppers in her viv as my understanding is that don't bite so hoping if I leave them there she'll eventually get so fed up of them she eats them out of frustration. Sadly when I 've down today 2 of them were sat on her so don't think it's working but will it to any harm? She's sleeping ok so don't think they are upsetting her.

Finally and probably most stupid question as I'm sure I know the answer but it's snowing and when I.put her at the window sill she'll stare at it for ages but I assume I couldn't let her out in it for even a couple of minutes? As much as anything I'm hoping she'd eat some as she's a nightmare to try and get drinking.

Thanks in advance

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Steve1878":1jt7xi9z said:
1 soil in viv... recently my 1 year old has refused to eat and keeps wood surfing. Having eliminated all other possibilities replacing uv tube triple checking temps etc I thought maybe egg laying time (or rather tracie mentioned it as a possibility). So I've filled a shoe box with loose damp soil and was going to leave it in the cold end of the viv for her as even if she isn't having eggs I thought the digging opportunity might calm down the wood surfing so is this ok? Obviously I'll keep an eye on the humidity.

<<<
What makes you think she is gravid , producing eggs ?
....she's only 12 months old , has she mated ? been cohabitating .

IMO unless you know she's gravid this is a VERY BAD IDEA , I STRONGLY suggest you remove the soil filled lay box and identify what is really going one with her - I suspect inadequate UV (esp UVA) , too hot or too cold , or lighting & feeding schedules need tweeking.
Soil in the viv
> is a very bad impaction risk - dragon will be eating it accidentially when taste testing, eating salad that falls out of dish and when it eats insects
> impossible to keep hygienic
> perfect breeding media for pathogens (viruses, bacteria and fungi and GIT parasites

2 as she'seating next to no if any live food but is at least picking at her greens is it ok to dust them with calcium or will it out her off?

NOT GOOD , a yearling requires HIGH QUALITY live feeder insects ONCE PER DAY.
See viewtopic.php?f=18&t=236074
and
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=230705&hilit=wild+beardies+stomach+contents

You need to work out why it's lost it's appetite is not interested in insects , see viewtopic.php?f=6&t=236150&p=1815390#p1815390

3 I've started leaving a few hoppers in her viv as my understanding is that don't bite so hoping if I leave them there she'll eventually get so fed up of them she eats them out of frustration. Sadly when I 've down today 2 of them were sat on her so don't think it's working but will it to any harm? She's sleeping ok so don't think they are upsetting her.

<<< if you do this , leave the salad in the tank , they hoppers will nibble in the greens in preference to biting her .
and if she goes to eat the salad , she may find an tasty bug on it and this wlll encourage her to eat it.

Finally and probably most stupid question as I'm sure I know the answer but it's snowing and when I.put her at the window sill she'll stare at it for ages but I assume I couldn't let her out in it for even a couple of minutes?
>>> DEFINITELY NOT if it's that cold outside.
As much as anything I'm hoping she'd eat some as she's a nightmare to try and get drinking.

<<< this is case where you need to check the temperatures are right , and the UV is sufficient (espec UVA ==> promotes activity and builds the appetite , that she's got a photoperiod no shorter than 14 hours per day (basking and UV on).
You may need to assist feed her - see viewtopic.php?f=18&t=235583

Thanks in advance

Steve1878

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
My understanding was that continuous wood surfing and lack of appetite could be a sign she is gravid. She's not been near any males but like I say I've looked at every other possibility and this was just the next thing to try. Her temps are good humidity is right uv tube replaced no sign of impaction and generally she's lively and healthy with no black bearding or any sign of ill health except the lack of appetite. I've weighed her and she's within the norms for a 15 inch 1 year old and has actually put on a little despite not eating although her fat stores seem smaller. The only other thing that's really changed is she's stopped shedding but I assume that's normal as she gets older

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom