Beardie Tracker

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
We let Bert out of his viv often and give him free reign of our condo. We have a little basking area set up for him. We have fenced off the top of the stairs so he can't fall and hurt himself.

However, sometimes he hides and we have a hard time tracking him down when it's time to go back in the viv.

So I had this thought and wanted to get your feedback. I was thinking of buying a Tile, which is a little bluetooth device meant to go on your key chain so you can find your lost keys with an app on your phone. Then sewing/attaching the tile to a harness/vest. Do you think that would be horribly uncomfortable for him?

bluetoothtrackers-lowres-03663.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's an interesting idea if the tile has very fine reception as the difference of a foot could be a big deal in this case. Some of them like harnesses better than others so you'd have to try it in your situation. I've had better luck with the hip leashes than the shoulder harnesses. They seem to be less restrictive. If it's not too expensive it might be worth a shot to see how it goes. I've found that over time they tend to develop routines and favorite spots so when they disappear it doesn't usually take more than a few minutes of checking the usual spots to find them. That experience may vary too though.

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":3ausy52e said:
I've found that over time they tend to develop routines and favorite spots so when they disappear it doesn't usually take more than a few minutes of checking the usual spots to find them. That experience may vary too though.

He definitely has some favorite spots and we always check those first. But it seems like once a week or so, we end up searching for him for 20+ minutes because he has gotten into someplace new. Last one was under the dresser in the bedroom. I had to coax him out with a hornworm, because he was too far back in there to reach and I didn't dare try moving the dresser and risk hurting him.

That’s an excellent idea! Spike is so-so about wearing something, but if I can get him to wear a vest or harness, I’m for sure going to try this.
Thanks for the idea!!

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
I was thinking the same thing for Mystic. When he’s out running around he loves hiding. Last time I lost him for 2 Days, found him in the basement by luck. I believe they have a small Tile, but I think that comes with a 2 pack or multi pack.

Terry15":3lx3io3z said:
I was thinking the same thing for Mystic. When he’s out running around he loves hiding. Last time I lost him for 2 Days, found him in the basement by luck. I believe they have a small Tile, but I think that comes with a 2 pack or multi pack.

That would be fine. The smaller the better.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
These are available now -
tracking_implant.png

http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/human-body/swedish-company-epicenter-implants-microchips-into-employees/news-story/5c48700ebb54262ae389db085593ab12 sown into a little vest might be go .... I'm sure they can made to give off a ping to be picked up by Bluetooth or wirelessly or even a GPS position , it's only a matter of nano-electronic design on a chip.
LIke this https://gpstracklog.com/2014/09/introducing-implantable-gps-chip-pets.html
Two of the most common uses of GPS tracking are to keep track of loved ones and to help find lost pets. But GPS pet collars are clunky, expensive and easily lost. Now, a company called Escape Alert is prepping to launch a Kickstarter next week to change that. Through crowdfunding, Escape Alert wants to create an implantable GPS chip to track your furry loved one wherever they may roam.
Unlike microchips commonly implanted in pets, which only provide your information when scanned at clinics and shelters, this microchip actually has a mini GPS chip inside and so it can actually track and relay your pet’s GPS location if they go missing. The current design does not allow for indoor GPS tracking, but if the Kickstarter raises enough funds, then additional features such as indoor tracking will likely be added.

This is how big it is : https://www.facebook.com/EscapeAlert/
injectable_GPS_tracker.png

I want one ....!!! but I'll imbed it in a harness .

I wouldn't advocate having a vet insert one into a pet lizard ... but it's a possibility if they can be made small enough and the internal battery last long enough ( 10 years or more ).

kingofnobbys":mqqm9orr said:
These are available now -
tracking_implant.png

http://www.news.com.au/technology/science/human-body/swedish-company-epicenter-implants-microchips-into-employees/news-story/5c48700ebb54262ae389db085593ab12 sown into a little vest might be go .... I'm sure they can made to give off a ping to be picked up by Bluetooth or wirelessly or even a GPS position , it's only a matter of nano-electronic design on a chip.
LIke this https://gpstracklog.com/2014/09/introducing-implantable-gps-chip-pets.html

I wouldn't advocate having a vet insert one into a pet lizard ... but it's a possibility if they can be made small enough and the internal battery last long enough ( 10 years or more ).

Oh to be sure! I wouldn’t even consider inserting one, or getting a chip. But one in a vest may work.

Seajhay

I was given a nice little tracker (not sure if it made it to market yet. I haven't checked since this has been working so well) that chirps when I need it, "seeable" by my phone, and is rechargeable by mini USB so I know I can charge it when I have the foresight to let little Theodore out to roam. I have made a few different types of harnesses but haven't perfected it yet. I just received some black tyvek so yet another iteration is going to be in the works. I've let him roam the backyard with a harness, tracker, and a lllloooonnnnggggg leash so when he disappears, I can "chirp him" locate him AND reach him to retrieve him. this was learned by experience of course. :banghead:

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
I was thinking about that also. I’ve lost Mystic numerous times. The last time he made it downstairs to the basement, lost for 2 days. I googled some other trackers that seem ok. He can hide within minutes, here he was a year ago when I lost him.
83443-72113728.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom