Lights and eggs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have 2 questions, I am going to buy a new UV light at the first of the month, and from what I have read the best kind to get and is able to be placed on top of the mesh top is Reptisun UVB 10.0 T5 HO. Is this true? What wattage should it be and how long? I have 36" aquarium. The basking spot is roughly 6-8" away from the UV light. Also I have a female beardie is she going to lay eggs at some point and/or how often will she lay eggs?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah a 22'' T5 will do. If you're shining it through a mesh top then it should be OK but would be too powerful at 6-8'' in most cases unless the main basking area is a little further and there is plenty of space away from the bulb. Optimal output from a T5 with reflective fixture is about 12'' without any mesh intercepting output. A ReptiSun 10.0 or Arcadia 12% are both good choices. She may lay eggs all at once and be done or in batches. From what I've seen it varies between dragons. I'd get a dig box ready with some damp play sand and organic topsoil mixed to a consistency that will hold a tunnel and give her some time to dig in that and lay her eggs there if she wants to.

AndreasFarm

Original Poster
Ok the light I have is a regular aquarium light,(it came with the dragon) its all white plastic inside, no reflectors so I'm assuming I'll need to replace that as well? and at what age do they start to lay eggs? and how will I know? LOL

AndreasFarm

Original Poster
Ok I live in Canada so I'm not sure if they will deliver here but I will look for something similar.....Thank you for answering my question, I've read many things you posted about, and you seem very knowledgable.... I have so many concerns right now, but I think I'm just a worry wart! HA!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ah Sarnia, I see that now. They can probably ship there but it may be more expensive than something internal. You might try Amazon.ca for some alternatives. Are you planning to hang the UVB light or do you want it to sit flush on a screen top? There are different fixtures available but some don't sit flush.

AndreasFarm

Original Poster
I plan on putting it flush on the screen. I was going to hang it but I’m not sure how. I thought about using 3M hooks or the Velcro but I’m afraid they will fall off. I think my best bet is placing it on the screen, I have an aquarium that has 2 doors on the front that open so I don’t have lift the lid off and on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom