How to remove bad odour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gtxollie1

So, my bedroom doesn't smell nice at all and it's to do with the vivarium. The thing is, the vivarium is very very clean. Ember doesn't ever poop in her Viv and hasn't for 6 months so it isn't poop, everything in her Viv is washed thurrely every month. The substrate which is large wood chips are replaced brand new. It just smells. She is bathed 2 times a week and is cleaned with a brush. It just smells of the tank I guess. How do I counter this. I know u can't use aerosols and so I have been scared to use anything with a scent. Air fresheners, plug ins, everything. I was wonder if it is safe to use plugins or something like a scented candle or fabreeze. I don't want to harm her so I've never tried. So is it safe? Thanks

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
Please don’t use any spray or scents. Sounds like you keep it really clean. Mystic does not poop in his tank either, the shelf liner is great, you can wipe up anything, bugs can’t get under it & it’s cheap.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Agreed, it's the wood chips collecting bacteria, fungi, and parasites daily. First of all, "wood chips" are not an appropriate substrate for a Desert Reptile of any kind, least of all a Beardie. There's a hundred reasons why wood chips are a horrible choice of substrate, I won't list them all because you likely already know them, but one of the largest is their propensity to collect microbes the minute you put fresh ones in the tank. It doesn't matter how often you change them. And Beardies are unfortunately very prone to bacterial and fungal infections in their eyes, their skin/scales, and of the Upper Respiratory System, and you're just asking for your dragon to become very sick and need to see a Certified Reptile Vet and have to do nebulizer treatments with an antibiotic. There is so much dust/particle matter that comes off of wood chips, bark, rodent bedding, sand, and the very worst, "crushed walnut shells" that your dragon is constantly breathing them in...and they're from the desert, lol...no wood chips there...

Bearded Dragons have no smell at all, they are actually one of the cleanest and odor-free pets you can have, especially in comparison to Tropical Reptiles, who have to be kept on a loose substrate, such as bark or wood chips, to hold in humidity. That's why Tropical Reptiles and their tanks tend to put off an odor, because of their required loose substrate holding in microbes. Beardies don't require this, nor is it healthy for them at all. And as a Beardie owner of over 15 years now (never used a loose substrate once) I can honestly tell you that I've NEVER had a Bearded Dragon, nor their tank or enclosure have any odor at all (except if they have a bowel movement inside their tank, which quickly goes away once it's cleaned out).

Please dump out the wood chips and then completely disinfect/cleanse the entire Viv, inside and out, including all of the decor in very hot water and either F10 Disinfectant or Bleach, and if he has wood or stone decor inside you can preheat your oven at 250 degrees, then bake them right on the oven rack for 30-45 minutes, this will kill all of the remaining bacteria and fungi inside and out of the porous wood/stone. Then you can temporarily put down either paper towels or newspaper that can be replaced as they get soiled. Then choose a clean, appropriate Solid Substrate, such as the already suggested non-adhesive shelf liner, or even better go to Lowes and buy a few of the really nice stick-on Textured, Slate Tiles. They have many to choose from, they are extremely easy to spot clean, and they even keep your dragon's toenails trim. It will be so much healthier for your dragon overall, and will completely get rid of any odor at all in your room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom