Help; Beardie age unknown!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning! First time beardie owner. Upon her purchase on 1/8/18, 1 employee said she was ~a year old, & the store owner said maybe 7 months... She was fed every other day, once daily, with greens one day and crickets the other.

I weighed/measured her upon reading your & beautiful dragon website. She was 13 1/16" long and weighed 85 grams. Would a closer guesstimate of her age be ~5-6 months?? I just want to know as I'm concerned about her nutrition & want to feed her appropriately.
Thanks so much!

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Definitely a lot younger, either that or very stunted growth and underfed if shes 13 inches at 7-12 months and only 85 grams.
5-6 is most likely closer to her age.
You'll want to feed her every day, twice a day. 10-20 bugs each feeding.

mamacita05

Original Poster
I greatly appreciate the above replies!

With that being said, when is a beardie considered a juvenile and an adult?

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
It probably varies depending on the persons opinion but for me I consider
1-4 months to be a baby, 4-12 months juvenile, 12-20 months sub adult, and then 20+ months adult.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Something is not right here, 85 grams? Are you sure? Can you post a photo of her?

Either way, they did her no favors with her diet. From hatching until at least a year old, they don't really need greens or veggies (you should offer them daily, but most won't eat much), but rather at least 3 live insect feeding sessions EVERY DAY, each lasting 10-15 minutes, where they are allowed to eat as many live insects as they want to.

Dragons do 85-90% of their growing and developing during their first year of life, and as such they need tons and tons of live insect protein EVERY SINGLE DAY!!!! Most dragons from hatching to a year old eat between 40-60 appropriately sized live insects every single day, so your dragon is definitely stunted in growth...but 85 grams? I mean, a length of 13.5", regardless of the actual age, should correspond with a weight of at least 200 grams+...so she must be quite thin?

A length of 13.5" is usually indicative of a dragon around 4-5 months old (most are between 5-6" when they hatch), maybe 6 months if he's on the smaller side...but 85 grams is very, very light. I'd post a photo of him, just so we can see his overall appearance and condition of health. He most likely is suffering from nutritional deficiencies, possibly MBD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom