Finally out of burmation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
So last night Saturn decided to come out of his log that he has been sleeping/napping in for the past
4-5 months. Not entirely sure but im hoping hes out of burmation, i waited a few hours to make sure he didnt go back in his hide and gave him 10-15 crickets, which he ate quite fast. Hes acting pretty normal, active, wondering around chasing any crickets that escaped into the tank while i was feeding him. Though he is a bit sluggish and doesn't have the greatest accuracy when it comes to catching them.

What i find a bit funny is just a few days ago my female beardie decided she would go into her cave all day and sleep, she hasnt come out since. So if she goes into burmation i can only hope its not for 4-5 months like he did. Its like they did a trade off, one comes out the other goes in.

89510-6161905499.jpg
89510-6144978097.jpg

I also wanna add beardies are a big stress reliever, i was trying to feed my tegu a whole prey item last night but instead of eating it she somewhat injured it (it was a hopper mouse, would have gotten frozen but they didnt have any). So i had to put it down, and that wasnt exactly fun, even though it died quick the twitching was really disturbing and somewhat traumatizing. Which after a few minutes thats when saturn came out so i took him out and cuddled with him for a few hours and honestly it really calmed me down.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Saturn looks great for having slept for 4-5 months. :) That's the long end of what a brumation should be, I don't like letting mine go beyond 3 months. Hopefully your girl won't stay in that long. Are they in the same tank ?

And I never owned anything that needed to eat mice. We had mice as pets when we were kids and they wee adorable so I can't get past the idea of feeding them to another animal though I have nothing against other people doing it humanely.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
They arent in the same tank and havent been since they were 6 months and that was only for 3 weeks or so when i got them. They are directly next to each other with a piece of cardboard in the middle so they cant see each other. And im glad you think he looks great, he definitely doesn't seem to have lost any weight really.
Im not entirely sure if it is good for them or not but i did give them some salmon since i was feeding some to my BTS while she was out basking. And they seemed to enjoy it for the most part.
Venus did come out just a few minutes ago and is basking on her log. Hopefully she wont go into burmation at all because i dont think i can handle all the stress since now currently my tegu has decided for the past few weeks to cool down and sleep most of the day, which is very stressful since shes only like 4 months old.

I tried doing it as humanly as possible, and hopefully next time i go back there they'll have frozen hoppers or fuzzy rats.

And sadly while i was typing this Saturn decided he'd go back to bed, hopefully for not too long.. currently can hear him scratching the glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom