Question about handling new beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRkorey

So my new beardie has been home for 3 days now. He seems to be enjoying himself! He’s a little shy to eat crickets with me standing there but will eat greens out of my hand no problem. I don’t want to push it by grabbing him and picking him up but if I go slow toward him and get my finger again this belly he runs away or sometimes I don’t get to his belly before he runs so I stop right there. He is new so I’m sure he is still shy but are there any other things I should be doing for him to get use to me or being handled?

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
Congratulations on your new bearded dragon!

The first thing you want to do is leave your bearded dragon alone for a little while so he/she can get used to their surroundings. I know it can be really hard, but you must resist the temptation. That way you can introduce yourself later on while the beardie isn't as freaked out and will be more receptive to you. I recommend waiting 2 weeks, doing no more than daily maintenance or occasionally resting your hand in there for a few minutes.

Meanwhile, spend your time reading up on bearded dragon care. :) Wander around BeardedDragon.org, check out Bearded Dragon Obsession on Facebook, and if you haven't already, look through the care guide in my signature.

NYRkorey

Original Poster
Okay I’ll wait some more time! Resisting that temptation is so hard! I love him.

Quick question since I can’t bathe him yet. I hear it’s not good to spray them down while they are in the tank bc it can burn them if they are wet while basking is that also true?

HylianHealeys

Juvie Member
Not true. It's the way they would dry off in the wild, and letting a bearded dragon bask after a bath can be a quick, safe way to help them dry off if you're in a hurry.

If you're worried about your beardie getting dehydrated, you can provide a water dish in the enclosure and soak the greens that you feed him. Soaking greens is an easy way to help your dragon get extra water, as well as keep your greens fresher for longer. It's a win-win situation! Just cut off excess stem, slice the leaf lengthwise through the central stem, cover with water, and then store in the refrigerator. After 24-48 hours, pour out the water, pat dry the leaves, and store between layers of paper towel.

If your beardie isn't thrilled about greens, making sure that feeder insects are well hydrated can also help, as well as feeding juicier insects like silkworms and hornworms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom