What other reptile is safe to house within the same space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrueLolzor

Hi. I've recently bought a new terrarium for my bearded dragon, and it appears it is very big and there is too much free space. I'm thinking about introducing another lizard, but I want something different this time, preferably herbivore. I was to an expo once, and there was a large terrarium filled with bearded dragon and some other lizard type I am not aware about.
Is iguana safe?

Thank you for your answers!

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
An iguana would murder your beardie, plus they are basically on the advanced level of caring. It couldnt even fit in the enclosure you have once grown since they need lots of height and space as they get around 5-8 feet long i believe. Mostly around 6 feet. On top of that they need different humidity levels, your beardie or your iguana would get an RI and other infections.
One needs a non particle substrate and the other does quite well with a particle substrate since it keeps the humidity up and they're less likely to ingest it like the beardie is.

Unless you have a 8x2x2 enclosure or more you cant even house two beardies together.

No mixing species, no putting male and male together, possibly female and female beardies if you have a 8x2x2 enclosure and two different basking spots.

Beardies are territorial. They are solitary. They like living alone, if you house a beardie with another beardie in a smaller enclosure that isnt 8x2x2 they could kill each other no matter the gender.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Be VERY CAREFUL if housing another lizard with your beardie, they both need to be the same size for starters and it's going to be hard to set up the viv to be good living environment for two different species.
It can be done - I know that Erik Warrel's Gosford Reptile park house bearded dragons with bluetongue skinks. I let Peppa and one of my bluetongues free range together regularly and they seem indifferent to each each other.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
VenusAndSaturn":12zio5jm said:
An iguana would murder your beardie, plus they are basically on the advanced level of caring. It couldnt even fit in the enclosure you have once grown since they need lots of height and space as they get around 5-8 feet long i believe. Mostly around 6 feet. On top of that they need different humidity levels, your beardie or your iguana would get an RI and other infections.
One needs a non particle substrate and the other does quite well with a particle substrate since it keeps the humidity up and they're less likely to ingest it like the beardie is.

Unless you have a 8x2x2 enclosure or more you cant even house two beardies together.
<<< very bad idea housing two beardies together even in an 8x2x2 viv , unless short term for mating purposes.

No mixing species, no putting male and male together, possibly female and female beardies if you have a 8x2x2 enclosure and two different basking spots.

Beardies are territorial. They are solitary. They like living alone, if you house a beardie with another beardie in a smaller enclosure that isnt 8x2x2 they could kill each other no matter the gender.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
True, i just figured 8x2x2 would be the absolute minimum for two beardies to be housed together if someone was too stubborn to realize beardies dont get along together.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
In a zoo type setting they do house different species together but this won't work even in the largest of cages in your home. It may work , it may not but there would always be risk of serious injury or stress to at least one of the critters.

When I was breeding I always had groups of female beardies together, almost never had any trouble except for a bitten tail but it's not highly recommended in most cases unless you have a really large tank with multiple basking areas.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29975/full

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29925/full

tgolden

Sub-Adult Member
I recently got to see the result of a breadie / leo gecko co habitation :roll: .....It was a vary empty viv except one fat smiling old beardie basking to digest his roommates.

. I wouldn't mix any other type of lizard with your beardie; although if your beardie is a female, another female beardie could work for you. The reason you don't want to put different lizards in there is because of bacterial contamination, which can cause stress, sickness, and even death. Well maybe the death is a slight stretch but you just shouldn't have other lizard types in there. IF you do get another beardie make sure it has its own climbing/hiding structures because everything needs to be able to be alone when they want. Make sure that you can afford to feed another reptile, a good site for cheap feeder insects (very reliable and great) is rainbow mealworms, which would seem like just mealworms, but it has all sorts of things like house geckos and anoles, and the price on the Phoenix worms (black soldier fly larvae) is great! If you do want a different type of reptile then you will need a strong separator and different lights for the kinds, but another beardie would be much easier. If you don't have a female dragon, or can't find a female, unless you are breeding, put a separator (thick and opaque) and get different lights (don't want your beardie to freeze!) if you get a male. Hope this helps!
Could the lizard have been a leopard gecko? They are also desert animals, but your beardie might eat it :shock:

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
You certainly cannot house a Bearded Dragon (DESERT REPTILE) with an Iguana (TROPICAL REPTILE) for 1,000 different reason, the biggest being they iguana would literally eat the Bearded Dragon, but I'm trying to show you the basic idea that doesn't work here with this example, lol. Desert Reptile with a Tropical Reptile. Two totally different environments, temps, etc. No.

Please don't house ANY OTHER SPECIES OF ANYTHING WITH YOUR BEARDIE!!! If you were even considering putting an Iguana in with your Bearded Dragon, then I'm sorry but it's obvious you don't have much knowledge of lizards to begin with, and I'm saying this not to be mean, but to point out why this is a really bad idea.

The number one reason to leave your Beardie alone in her Viv by herself is because that's what she wants, that's how they live naturally, they are solitary animals, and as already mentioned other than putting a female with a female it doesn't work, and certainly not with any other species of reptile.

You need to realize that in most cases, if you put another species of lizard in with your bearded dragon, you bearded dragon is going to be the submissive lizard that is killed/eaten...so fair warning.

And by the way, iguanas grow up to 10 feet long and require an entire room to live in, with totally different lighting/temps/diet and everything else than a dragon. Just as any type of monitor or Tegu is going to as well. So for the sake of your dragon please, just leave her be by herself.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
How big is your enclosure and how big is your dragon?

Bearded dragons (and many other animals) use a lot more space than we usually realize. Because they sit around so much and we don’t see them scampering all over we think they aren’t using all their space. Pepper has a 4x2x4 enclosure which seems huge, but he uses all of it. This video is a time lapse of him over the day: https://youtu.be/0tQZtaCQE4I

Everyone else has hit the nail on the head regarding adding mor critters but it’s likely you can work in your enclosure to make your beardie happier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom