Vacation care advice (Beardie will be alone for 3 days)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I am planning to make a trip of three days to family for the holidays but I'm not sure how to care for my beardie in that time. I have bought a light timer for his set up so that the lights come on and off at proper times, but I'm concerned about feeding.
My plan was to leave him some veggies in his dish and make sure he ate some worms before I left that morning, but I'm still concerned about him. He's a juvenile, not sure exactly the age of him but I've had him for about 4 months. I don't know if this matters but he's currently starting a new shed and hasn't been eating as much as he normally does.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
There is not much you can do besides have someone stop by to feed. You can leave a big salad, but it will likely dry up before he eats it all (it will still get nibbled on if hes hungry) That being said, it's not the end of the world for your dragon to go a couple days without a steady diet. Is it optimal, no. But it's not detrimental if done only rarely.

I'd feed a big-ish meal the day leading up to it, leave a big salad, and leave the little guy to his druthers.

A healthy dragon can easily go a few days without food. It's only in instances of a sickly dragon that I'd recommend against this.

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I know personally of keepers who have left their ADULT dragons at home when they had to be away for 3 days.
A timer on the lights , thermostat on the heating , and they had their mom call by each day to check the dragon , spot clean and replace the salad and give it some live insects. Mom was primed before for a few weeks on the weekends so she and the dragon knew each other and were comfortable with each other.

But he's not an adult but a juvenile, so if under 12 months old , and even more so if only about 6 months old, IMO it's not a very good idea leaving him without daily feeds of quality insects for more than a day or two.

If you are driving - I recommend taking the juvenile dragon with you and keeping him in a 100L tub set up as shown here while at the other place viewtopic.php?f=34&t=233480
and he will travel well in small cloth pet carrier with plenty of towels and a 12V heatpad in it while on the road (for safety).

if this is not possible , the local reptile vet can take the dragon in as border while you are away (but this is far from ideal for the dragon who will be very stressed by the experience).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom