NEVER NEGLECT your dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

PIPPINRIP

So before I start this my lizard died about a hour ago and I feel I need to get some things off my chest and see if you're going down the same road that will only end in death. I am okay with you calling me a piece of sh*t ***** or whatever you can think of because I believe that what I did was horrible and I should go through the same torture that I imposed on my dragon . So I purchased Pippin as a disabled 6 month old dragon which would be my second dragon after owning a dragon from the year prior I had shown all the affection I could to both of them and until the last six months or so I was doing great with them I'd wash them feed them and clean them on a regular basis (Pippin was bought in November 2015) but the last 6 months I was developing a bad habit , one day after I get home from school I decide I'm too tired to care for them and I'd rather finish homework and play video games well after that there were more days like that and soon it became 2 3 4 days without feeding bathing or watering them I'd fight my parents I'd disobey them i started to care less and less about them it got so out of hand that this last run was for a good month or so I had 3 lizards now 2 the other one is out the door too he's a leopard gecko and he got mouth rot and my stepdad doesn't want to bring him in Pippin died of severe impaction and starvation since he couldn't open his mouth due to stuck shed and all this I didn't know about thankfully he went in his sleep but I feel like a murderer so my message to you who is reading this don't miss a day.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Im sorry that your lizards arent doing to well anymore and that one passed away. This is one of the reasons most kids shouldnt own reptiles, and me myself being a kid i entirely understand that. Some days you cant do certain things or you forget while your in school getting tons of homework and just stress. Which is one of the reasons im home schooled because of the stress and the fact I want to take better care of what i'd call my scaley children because they depend on you for basically everything just like a child.
I've had those days when i was too stressed or too sick to exactly do what i needed to do to make sure they always were in perfect health. Though it would only be two days and they didnt go without food since i always have my grandma helping most of the time. Even though when i woke up once while being sick she was feeding them oranges and i had to get up to stop her.
Just dont be too hard on yourself, a lot of kids that are in public school or at least something like that are put under a lot of stress so i dont blame you for not taking better care of them. All you can do now is just make sure they are being cared for more than before.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
My dragon might go a day or so without eating at times but, it is her choice...food is there!
To have one and not feed it for a month is......well I just can't fathom that! Sorry but it just wrong! Little fella counted on you for his very existance!

Pippinrip......
I am so sorry for the loss of your dragon. We also lost our son’s beardie 2 years ago to the same thing. Our son moved out and he place he was staying did not allow pets so he left Mr Lizard with me and my husband. Since I work and my husband is home all day, he was left in charge of him, and only fed him crickets from the bait store. Too big and probably riddled with parasites.
He got no greens and never was bathed.
When our son came home to clean the cage after several months, Mr Lizard was impacted badly, and so after 2 trips to the vet, laxative meds and finally admitting him for surgery, he died the night before th operation. I was devastated and our son was PISSED BIG TIME! I vowed I would get another one and do things the right was. And last year, Spike entered our lives.
He’s fat, happy and is in the middle of his first brumation. So I give him baths every other day. In the summer he pooped everyday.
What I’m trying to say is please don’t beat yourself up over Pippin’s death. Take it as a learning lesson, and eventually, you will feel comfortable enough to get another one. Be vigilant, hold them (even when you play your video games) I hold Spike when I watch TV or do my charting, and they will come to love you.
Don’t give up. Spike is my “4th child” and I love him dearly.
Good luck. ❤️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom