Strange drinking behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Hey all. I have a question NOT about RJ :)
Our most recent baby, Copper, is about 4 1/2 months old. He typically eats well, greens and roaches. All and all seems healthy, though he is ADV positive. He had coccidia and pinworms a few weeks to a month ago. Treated coccidia, which I would think is gone (used that baytox medicine). Had panacur for the pinworms, and he's due for the second round in a couple days (the pinworm count was high +3) He's been having runny poop for the past few days, and his appetite has dropped off. Though he is also shedding. I saw all this just to give history to possibly help with my question.
When he drinks he's quite aggressive towards the syringe, like "gimme gimme." He also SEVERELY flattens his body out, which seems odd to me, but given this is only my third dragon, and only one that's been so enthusiastic about water, I guess it could be normal. Any thoughts are appreciated. And this is a pic of what he does when drinking, I hope it's clear enough to get the idea.
89591-7412388427.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He is just extra thirsty....could be several reasons . Him being ADV positive may create a bit more of thirst, then him being on meds. can cause him to dehydrate more quickly. Him flattening out is like he's trying to get as much water in as he can. Do you offer as much as he'll drink at one time from a syringe ? If you use a syringe to drip on his snout, you can also use a spray bottle as well. You can also put a small, shallow plastic lid under his chin , drip/squirt his nose and then as he's drinking you can let some drip on to the plastic lid so he can lower his head + lap extra water up. If he wants to drink twice a day that's fine, too.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
He has always drank like that. He seems to be always thirsty. Since we got him (1 month appx). With greens as well. Which I forgot to mention. As much as he eats greens (to me seems odd for such a young dragon) I wouldn't think he would be thirsty at all, given the amount of hydration he gets from all the greens he eats.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Every baby I raised over a 20 year period [ many hundreds ] all drank water when they were young, from a few days after hatching. As they got older they drink less but will still drink every few days , as adults about every 7-10 days. It's normal + healthy for them to drink, some do more, some less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom