Lifespan + factors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got to thinking, beardies either tend to live way shorter or way longer than we think they do. I had a female that I adopted as an adult who lived for about 6 years after I got her (she was around 4 or 5 when she was given to me), and my brother's boy Gilligan is nearing his 11th birthday. More commonly though I seem to run into people whose dragons only lived about 4-6 years with good husbandry. Aside from situational stresses (initial health, feeding, things that would physically stunt growth), is there a reason why two hypothetical dragons in the same set ups raised the same way would have a 3-4 year gap in their lifespans? I just find it interesting and was wondering if anyone had any input.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think there are a lot of factors. Some of it has to do with proper lighting, healthy diet, enough space and generally happy lifestyle. Another big component is genetics. There is a lot of reckless breeding practices going on which seems to be causing a lot of different problems across the population. Cancer and system failures tend to cut lifespans of dragons even with the best husbandry and life. Conversely some of the dragons who have strong genes are able to survive pretty harsh conditions. I try to focus on providing the happiest life possible for my guys no matter how long they are with me.

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
My oldest beardie recently passed away at 18 (yes, not a typo). And last year I had another one pass away at 17. These beardies did not share genetics, so I’d like to think that husbandry had a little something to do with it. In all cases I did do a lot of research on the breeders to tip the odds in my favor and ensure that I was starting with a healthy (noninbred) baby. I currently have a baby and a subadult, and I’m planning on raising two more beardies that hit the 18-year mark. Or longer. ☺️

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
PodunkKhaleesi":383ea6dv said:
My oldest beardie recently passed away at 18 (yes, not a typo). And last year I had another one pass away at 17. These beardies did not share genetics, so I’d like to think that husbandry had a little something to do with it. In all cases I did do a lot of research on the breeders to tip the odds in my favor and ensure that I was starting with a healthy (non inbred) baby. I currently have a baby and a subadult, and I’m planning on raising two more beardies that hit the 18-year mark. Or longer. ☺️
WOW Just Wow. I've heard of a 15-16 year old Beardie but an 18 year old one?!? That's awesome! :D

and I Agree with Cooperdragon. Genetics does take a major factor in their lifespan, My Special needs beardie had to be put down at 3-4 years (Never really knew his exact age) and My vet said he was very inbred even though he wasn't one of those super high end fancy 'Morphs'. and My oldest beardie is currently around 4 and a half.

-HippieLizards.

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
I’m so sorry your beardie recently passed. It’s a difficult experience whether the lizard is 4 or 14. I think I got very lucky genetically with my first two beardies (both from different breeders, but I did a lot of research and felt confident that inbreeding or other genetic health issues as a result of unscrupulous breeding practices would be unlikely). My guys always had the same recommended diet, setup, and lighting you’d find on any reputable beardie site (such as the guides on this one), so even I’m often perplexed why they lived well past the captive average. I always did an annual vet exam to make sure they were staying healthy, but the fact that my beardies were very active (I encouraged exercise/adventure time outside the cage and they seized every minute of it) makes me think that significantly contributed to their longevity. Maybe we just need some type of bearded dragon CrossFit and then we’ll all be on our way to owning ripped 20-year-old beardies.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
PodunkKhaleesi":25528334 said:
I’m so sorry your beardie recently passed. It’s a difficult experience whether the lizard is 4 or 14. I think I got very lucky genetically with my first two beardies (both from different breeders, but I did a lot of research and felt confident that inbreeding or other genetic health issues as a result of unscrupulous breeding practices would be unlikely). My guys always had the same recommended diet, setup, and lighting you’d find on any reputable beardie site (such as the guides on this one), so even I’m often perplexed why they lived well past the captive average. I always did an annual vet exam to make sure they were staying healthy, but the fact that my beardies were very active (I encouraged exercise/adventure time outside the cage and they seized every minute of it) makes me think that significantly contributed to their longevity. Maybe we just need some type of bearded dragon CrossFit and then we’ll all be on our way to owning ripped 20-year-old beardies.
Thank you. :) If I buy an animal from a breeder It must be reputable and I'll check their reviews and if they're good, I'll try to find a new pet there. :) But I Mainly stick to rescuing.

a 20 year old beardie would be awesome. and Exercise really does have a big impact on their health, When we first got Loki he was 1 lb 4 oz (a bit overweight IMO), and he was pretty much all flab and was very lazy, and He had a small dirty tank which was way too small for him.

When I started taking him out more and letting him explore and getting him a new and huge tank He became a very hyperactive little ball of energy and he did lose some weight (went down to 15 oz a month ago but is now 1 lb 1 oz). But he is 100% healthier from when we first got him and he also is now very muscular Lol. :)

View media item 60629 This was the chunky little dude when we first got him,

View media item 60613 and Here he is, Majestic and strong, and very happy and Healthy. :D

I Hope my three will live a nice long life (hopefully 20 :blob5: ). :D

PodunkKhaleesi

Hatchling Member
He really does look majestic in that pic. Love the necklace. ☺️ That’s great that you’re considering a rescue. My spunkiest beardie was a rescue that came from jawdroppingly deplorable conditions (no UV, no calcium or vitamins, food once a week if she was lucky). Watching her go from a skeletal creature that was too weak to lift her head to a bouncing ball of energy that would come running across a room if you called her name was an experience I’d happily sign up for again. While seeing her in her initial state was heartbreaking, after her recovery she developed a joyful personality that always converted people she came across into immediate reptile lovers. She lived a long and healthy life, so whenever people ask if they should consider adoption I reference the special needs lizard that will forever be my favorite pet.

Smilobar

My first ever beardie was a rescue from a friend who didn't want him anymore, so just decided to stop feeding him :banghead: FOR 2 WEEKS he had no food or water, lived in dusty sand, had no supplements, and received no attention. I aggressively scolded him and immediately took the poor guy when he casually mentioned the lizard one day. He was about 1 when I got him, so he was definitely messed up from then on. Kinks in the tail, sideways fingers and wrists, underbite jaw, and couldn't lift himself very well. After food, a vet visit, and fixing everything I could husbandry-wise, he lived to be 10! And he was definitely my sweetest beardie and would love to be carried around.

Rescues are hard though, because even if you try your best, they sometimes just can't come back from issues. I had rescued another after my first passed away, and she was SO amazing. Such a sassy personality. I'm not sure how old she was, I only had her for 1.5 years. She had been a school pet in which stupid kids fed her terrible things like Cheetos, and her lights were so far up, she barely got the temps and UV she needed (she was in a tall thin aquarium on sand). She was thin but still full of energy when I got her, and she became plump and happy. But then she got parasites somehow, and no matter now aggressive I was with them, they were just as aggressive with her body. I had to give her shots and all kinds of meds, but the whole ordeal was just too hard on her.

The rescue I have now is 7, we've had her for 4 years, and she came from a reptile pet store that some kid's mom dropped him off, saying they didn't want her anymore. She was SO skinny and so sad looking, we had to take her. Hopefully she lives to be an old-timer just like my first. I do pamper and fuss over my little ones, so maybe that helps longevity? :D

It's really impossible to know how long they'll live, what with genetics, past husbandry, unknown/unseen issues etc. but it's a blessing to love on them and give them the best environment you can. Reptiles are professionals at keeping sicknesses and issues a secret as long possible until it's almost too late to act on. It's so important to do as much research as you can and have the best husbandry possible, so they can live long and happy lives! <3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom