Bearded Dragon hiding and not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.
95619-5647904342.jpg
We just bought a bearded dragon. He is 7 months old. We have him in a 75 gallon tank with a 90 watt halogen bulb. His basking area stays at about 100 degrees and the cooler side stays at about 85-90. I've noticed lately that he will not eat his greens and that he has been hiding in his little cave on the cooler side. He will only eat his crickets if I pick him up and place him in an open area in the tank and sprinkle the crickets in front of him. We've had him for a little over a week. Is this normal behavior? It seems like some days he will bask all day and other days he will hide out on his cooler side. Any suggestions on how to make him eat his greens and why he has been hiding here lately?

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Hi,
Grats on your beardie :D Cute lil guy. It sounds like relocation stress could still be getting used to new surroundings. If its possible, Can you upload a photo of your husbandry? To upload a photo, click on User Image Uploader https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/#list and click on "New Upload". What kind of UVB lighting are you using?

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Can you post a picture of the setup? Also he looks a bit small for 7 months but they all grow differently. I'd keep the cool side cooler though, more in the 70-85 instead of 85-90.
Also what are you feeding him every day and how many times a day?

JennAndTonic

Original Poster
Well, I am basing his age off the lady we got him from. She said 7 months. She was also feeding him 8-10 medium crickets 3 times a day. Which seemed excessive to me but I kept his routine. I also put out kale, peas, cucumbers, carrots, zucchini and apples for him but he is not interested. I will get a different bulb to keep it cooler. I am a first time bearded dragon owner so any info is appreciated!

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Upload a picture to "user image uploader", once uploaded come back here and hit "ximg" to upload it to the chat. When you click ximg you should be able to select the image.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
JennAndTonic":aa0gpj90 said:
Well, I am basing his age off the lady we got him from. She said 7 months. She was also feeding him 8-10 medium crickets 3 times a day. << Not excessive at all, sounds like a good amount, though instead normally you can just give him as much as he can eat in 10-15mins 2x or so a dayWhich seemed excessive to me but I kept his routine. I also put out kale, peas, cucumbers, carrots, zucchini and apples for him but he is not interested. Not all of these are real great for him, as far as nutrition goes. Maybe try some others on this list: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.htmlI will get a different bulb to keep it cooler. I am a first time bearded dragon owner so any info is appreciated!

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
You didn't mention what type of UVB light you have? Do you know what brand, model, wattage/strength, and type (compact, coil, tube) your UVB light is? This will definitely effect his appetite, activity level, etc. if it's not an adequate UVB light or it's mounted too far away from him, or it's obstructed by a mesh lid or something else.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Any update here on what UVB light you are using? You only mention using a 90 watt halogen basking bulb and that's it, so I'm concerned that you have no UVB light at all, which will be detrimental to his health.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom