"Bearded Dragons can change their sex (after birth).."

Status
Not open for further replies.

RelentlessChaos

Juvie Member
I have seen people say this a few times and it's bugging me since I believe it is false (I have never seen or witnessed a Bearded Dragon change its sex) and I'm not sure if anyone else has in terms of scientific research. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, I just want some clarification.

In all honesty, I think people are misreading an article that came out a year or two ago regarding changing sex during egg development (unless I am the one doing the misreading). Here is a quote from the research article.

But in many reptiles, their sex is the result of temperatures experienced during embryonic development...
"Bearded dragons are a unique model system because high temperatures override their chromosomal sex determination system. When eggs are incubated below 32° Celsius (89.6° Fahrenheit), their sex chromosomes dictate their sex, but for temperatures above 32° Celsius, increasing numbers of eggs develop into females, regardless of their chromosomal make-up (ref). When temperatures reach 36° Celsius (96.8° Fahrenheit), 100% of genetic males develop into sex-reversed (ZZf) females."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/grrlscientist/2017/06/19/how-turning-up-the-heat-turns-male-bearded-dragons-into-females/#775f626262b5

Again, to clarify... a Bearded Dragon CANNOT magically change it's sex after birth? Correct? They can only change sex during egg development?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I remember that article. I read it the same way you did; they change their gender during development.

RelentlessChaos

Juvie Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":3a8juk6s said:
I remember that article. I read it the same way you did; they change their gender during development.

I have ran into people saying that Bearded Dragons can change sex before 8 months old and that their vet told them so.

I think it all started with this research article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bearded dragon
Top Bottom