Some questions, am new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArticZMSZ

Hiya, everyone. I'm kind of new to reptiles, I think I used to own frogs like 9 years ago? I dunno, I was like 7 at the time.
Anyways, that's beside the point, so I have done tons of research, and gotten exactly what I need for an enclosure (I believe) and am getting all that somewhere around next friday, the thing is, I really don't know where I am going to get my beardie. I'm pretty sure ill get him online, however I'd have to be home from school that day... ah anyways, there is a petco and petsmart in my area, should I check there? I know they can be bad, I just don't know what to look out for aside from sand and a few other things such as improper lighting and starvation.

VenusAndSaturn

Sub-Adult Member
Expos and local pet stores are good places to get beardies. And by local pet stores i mean the small business ones that are only in that area. If you do go to petco and petsmart make sure the beardie is alert, active, doesnt have any stuck shed or missing toes, just generally looks healthy.

If your only options are from a pet store chain, I would be sure to bring your new beardie into the vet as soon as possible, even if he seems healthy and alert. Pet stores are notorious for carrying animals with parasites, and dragons that have adenovirus.

karlys

Before we really knew what we were doing, my bf got his beardie first from a local reptile store purely based on the fact that he wanted an orange or red one and they had them. A month later, I got my beardie at Petsmart because I wanted a "plain" brown one and the reptile store only had morphs.

Now that I know better, I know my little guy was suffering from dehydration and parasites from the beginning. What I thought was docile and friendly was lethargy and not feeling well. A vet visit, medicine, and time has healed him to a happy, albeit much more squirmy and fiesty, baby. It does make me feel like I saved him, in a way. I sometimes wonder what would've happened to him if I hadn't picked him.

In contrast, my bf's beardie was incredibly healthy until just recently. The vet didn't have any exact answers as to why he got sick so, of course I can't for sure say that he came to us healthy, but I think he did. The store also knew the breeder personally, as they were local, so it felt nice to know that info.

I wouldn't trade my little guy for the world and would still pick him if I could go back, despite the vet costs, so I wouldn't ever say Petsmart/Petco is a terrible decision. But, at the same time, it might not be the best one. I would definitely agree that, should you go with them, take the little one to the vet after they've settled in to get tested. I wish I'd taken my guy in way earlier so he didn't have to suffer as long (2-3 months).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom