Another bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quinny

Hey everyone
So these past 2 weeks I've been having thoughts about getting another bearded dragon! My first beardie (Owen) is doing great. I have had him for a year and 7 months. Gosh does time fly haha. ANYWAYS, I've been having thoughts about getting another one. I have so many thoughts and questions as to how it works when owning another beardie.

I know that you should defiantly not house 2 beardies together in the same enclosure, I am 100% not going to do that. (Especially introducing a baby to an adult beardie.) So I would have to get basically the exact same stuff that I got when getting my first dragon. Which is fine, I have no problem buying a new enclosure and everything that goes with it.

So what is the best way to get one? Owen is my current dragon and he is a male. Is it best to get a specific gender? I would prefer to get another male. I eventually want to introduce the two beardies together because I would want to hold/play and hang out with both of them at the same time, and I also see on social media that people do it all the time and they don't mind being together. Would I need to wait until the new dragon is a specific age to introduce each other?

Is it okay if both enclosures are in the same room? Or is it best to keep the enclosures in separate rooms?

If there is any other comments or concerns please add them to the post :) thanks
Q

GitaBooks

Sounds exciting!!

I'm not sure if gender matters, though two males may be more prone to fight if introduced and a male and female may try to breed. However, sense they will be housed separate it shouldn't make a big difference.

As far as where to place the enclosures, it should be fine if they are in the same room. If the enclosures are close together you may want to put a barrier between them, but that would be the only thing.

I wouldn't introduce the two beardies together until they are fairly similar in size, so they don't consider one another predator/prey.

As far as how to get one, a good breeder (someone who cares about the health of his/her beardies) is the best option. You can also get a rehomed beadie (they may already be tame adults) or a rescue beardie (there are a fairly large number or reptile rescues out there). Petstores and mass-produced beardies tend not to be as healthy and could bring disease to Owen.

Hope this helps.

Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom