Nervous to Take Beardie on Outside Adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.

halima16

How old was your bearded dragon when you started taking them on fun outside adventures?
And how did you go about doing it to ensure they wouldn't run or jump off of you?

My beardie is 4 months old and I really want to take him to the beach/pool or even bring him along for car rides. I am just not sure when I should start and I am kind of nervous about it. He seems small to me still, but he is growing like crazy! When I hold him he also tends to want to run and jump on all the furniture, he's a rascal.

Please just let me know what your experience was like bringing your bearded dragon out with you and how you made the experience non-stressful and manageable.

(Top) Basil when I first got him - 2 months old & 5 in long
(Bottom) Now, 4 months & 10 in long
93938-9147760723.jpg
I love love love my lizard child

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
If you do, always be very attentive and, cautious! There are many dangers lurking outside that most folks don't think about like.....
Cats
Dogs
Hawks
Eagles
Owls
Crows
Snakes
Ect...
It is a very dangerous world out there for them and, remember...they are super fast too!

Taz123321

Hi there I have a two month three week old baby beardie and he's been going on with me since he was about two months old. I made him a little harness with some Yarn so that if he did decide to be a little turd and jump off me he would be connected to me by the yarn harness and leash.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
It also depends on the climate where you live -- little ones can cool off a lot faster than adults, so you want to make sure he's warm enough. If the outside temperatures are at least 70 - 80 F in the shade, then it should be okay, but if I were you I would take a thermometer along so you can monitor his temperature, because he could also overheat quickly if you put him in the sun. I would also suggest having some sort of a carrier for him if you take him anywhere away from home and away from his heat lamps, and have a source of heat with it such as a hot water bottle or hand warmers. You can also use mammalian body heat in a pinch (in other words, cuddle him if he'll tolerate it). He may also appreciate having a warm place to hide if the outside gets too overwhelming for him.

Some people use playpens or pop up screen tents to keep their beardies protected and corralled when they take them outside, but as Gormagon has said, you should always supervise him very carefully whenever you have him outdoors.

BTW, he's beautiful and it looks like you've done a great job helping him grow. :D

I’d make or buy him a harness, there are tons of tutorials for making inexpensive ones on YouTube. Usually Larry rides on my shoulder or I hold him like a baby or gently on my forearm if we’re in public. Maybe start by taking him to a local pet store so you have a controlled area just to see how he reacts to outside stimulation. We’re lucky to have a place the specializes in reptiles so Larry gets hornworms from the cashier when he goes. When it warms up the beach would be fun just keep him harnessed and leashed on a short one so nothing happens.

halima16

Original Poster
Thanks so much guys! This helps a ton. I think I really like the idea of having a carrier:p

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
ThiccShady":2jqwo7p1 said:
I’d make or buy him a harness, there are tons of tutorials for making inexpensive ones on YouTube. Usually Larry rides on my shoulder or I hold him like a baby or gently on my forearm if we’re in public. Maybe start by taking him to a local pet store so you have a controlled area just to see how he reacts to outside stimulation. We’re lucky to have a place the specializes in reptiles so Larry gets hornworms from the cashier when he goes. When it warms up the beach would be fun just keep him harnessed and leashed on a short one so nothing happens.

Larry must have learned to love going to the pet store if he gets a hornworm every time. :D

But do be careful about letting him ride on your shoulder -- make sure he's protected from falls. Always have your hand over him, or a harness or some other means to make sure he's safe.

Our beardie sometimes likes to climb up on my shoulder when I'm holding him, and I get to guess whether he wants me to put him down, or if he wants to look around the room, or get up under my chin and snuggle. :?

CliffsMom

Mesh clothes hamper!!!!!!!! That is all I have to say. I have this one! The top has a flap I velcroed shut. It will keep out any animals and keep her inside. I lie it sideways and when she runs it can roll with her :) I can tie it a beam outside and sit next to her and read a book.
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/neatfreak-large-pop-up-hamper-with-everfresh/6000135892805?cmpid=sem_pla_google_en_none_6000135892805_100062006730969_97&gclid=Cj0KCQjwl7nYBRCwARIsAL7O7dFWu8ZzbhmPHYzYHzv-G09r6ku7e5DZ3rHk1ZtiaY314Uv5mkyhAGMaAskZEALw_wcB

halima16

Original Poster
CliffsMom":g1csfmp3 said:
Mesh clothes hamper!!!!!!!! That is all I have to say. I have this one! The top has a flap I velcroed shut. It will keep out any animals and keep her inside. I lie it sideways and when she runs it can roll with her :) I can tie it a beam outside and sit next to her and read a book.
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/neatfreak-large-pop-up-hamper-with-everfresh/6000135892805?cmpid=sem_pla_google_en_none_6000135892805_100062006730969_97&gclid=Cj0KCQjwl7nYBRCwARIsAL7O7dFWu8ZzbhmPHYzYHzv-G09r6ku7e5DZ3rHk1ZtiaY314Uv5mkyhAGMaAskZEALw_wcB

That's very smart! I started taking Basil out now that its summer here in San Diego, but I am still nervous about going to the beach or pool! So this is great! BTW This is my little guy now:

93938-2966153575.jpg
93938-4571019961.jpg

I’m new to beardies too. We got our little Yoshi about 4 months ago (he’s 9 months old now). He’s very sweet but seems extremely nervous. His viv is in our rec room in the basement and he’s quite happy down there. The minute we take him upstairs tho, he goes dark and puffs his beard and will occasionally hiss at us. I tried taking him in the backyard for a bit since the weather was so good and to say he freaked out would be an understatement! I’m trying to expose him to new things gradually but am wondering if he’s just nervous by nature and we should just accept it - he has so many other lovable qualities :D

I would appreciate any advice!

SkyfangRauss

Hatchling Member
my beardie is 4 years old, and HATES being outdoors, absolutely hates it.

he likes exploring the house, and doesn't mind being around the cats, but outdoors? NOPE!!. instant black beard, gaping, gets super dark.

good thing he's got a good sized room to explore with a beardie jungle gym

Steve1878

Hatchling Member
I bought my little girl a rabbit run only to find she hates been outside I've tried a few times but she just runs to the corner hides in the nettles and stays there even though I've provided basking areas for her

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Unless you have a harness and leash , and an escape proof yard , or rabbit / guinea pig enclosure IMO it's not worth the risk.

My gang are happy enough with floor time and like looking out the window . Too dangerous here , none - my yard is not fully fences off, there are free roaming cats about, and next door have lots of dogs, and there are big predatory birds about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom