My Bearded Dragon's tail isnt shedding!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everybody!! So I just got my Beardie ,Laguna, about 2 weeks ago and she went through a shed cycle during this time. It went extremely well until it got to her tail. About 5 and a half inches of her 6 inch tail will just not shed. I am VERY concerned because I have heard from my sister and from other people online that if the shed does not come off it could cause her tail to become amputated and I don't want that to happen. What should I do to help her get rid of the shed??? I have been bathing her at least twice a day and me and my sister spread a little bit of coconut oil on her tail to help her with it. Is the tail not shedding the same time as the body normal and what can I do to prevent this from happening again in the future??? Any advice would be EXTREMELY appreciated!!! THANKS!!! :D

Stres

Hatchling Member
It's not uncommon for them to shed certain parts at once.
See in image how my dragon just shed the top part of his right leg but know where else and if you notice the tail looked like it was about to shed

89302-159924548.jpg

Then when it finally started shedding the tail, it did the top and bottom but left the middle but out.

89302-2556331051.jpg

He's still to finish the middle and bottom part of the tail.

If your worried you could upload some images for the more experienced keepers to have a look to see if there's anything to be worried about, but if temperatures and humidity are within range it will probably shed when ready.

I think it's when there is skin that has shed but not come off the dragon that you can get problems with constricting etc, but if it's still to start shedding I think is ok.

KeeperOfTheDragon

Original Poster
THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!! It makes me feel a lot better knowing that it is completely normal. Your beardie looks AMAZING by the way. I am just starting out and I have a lot to learn about my Beardie, but I am soaking in all of the information that I can get. I might be posting some pics of her on here later. Thanks again for your advice and help!!!

Stres

Hatchling Member
KeeperOfTheDragon":2rmxv17i said:
THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!! It makes me feel a lot better knowing that it is completely normal. Your beardie looks AMAZING by the way. I am just starting out and I have a lot to learn about my Beardie, but I am soaking in all of the information that I can get. I might be posting some pics of her on here later. Thanks again for your advice and help!!!

Thanks, and your welcome. I was just like you first time my beardie shed his face and only his mouth started to shed I was on this site panicking.

There's lots of good people here to help when your worried, if you have any doubts about your setup just upload some images and there's always someone who can give advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom