would these be the right sized tank for my beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eebx

For the past month or so I have been doing research on getting a bearded dragon, and i was curious to know something. I know when it comes to reptiles or any animal its best to not "cut corners" when it comes to what it needs and money but i was wanted to know; if i were to get a baby beardie (saying if i even get it i might get a juvenile) would it be okay in a 40 gallon breeder tank? Or would it best be I leave it at 20 and then 40 as it gets older? I dont have too much money to begin with so i wanted to know if that'd be okay. Thanks for reading.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, yes you can start him out in a 40 if you don't have a smaller tank. Really small babies do best in a smaller tank but if you set him up in a 40 make sure the tank isn't too cluttered. I've raised a lot of babies so when they're small it's easier for them to settle in + also find their food if the tank is not cluttered. A nice long basking stick that gets close to the uvb bulb is the main piece of cage decor as well as a nice rock or two. Both can be brought from outside, the rock can be washed with hot, soapy water + then rinsed. The stick/log can be put in a preheated 250 degree oven for 45-60 minutes. Or you can buy the cage decor at the store. Here's a simple set up from when I was raising babies. A paper towel is used as a snuggling/sleeping area by some, so that's all you need.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29895/full

I housed a number of babies in each tote so I provided several sticks in each one since they love to climb + bask on them. Easy to care for them in this set up + they thrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom