Will I have to rehome him? Not enough time

Status
Not open for further replies.

vegangirl

I have a dragon named Boo (not sure how old he is). I've been unemployed due to health reasons so have had lots of time for my dragon, but now I'm looking to do some agency work (roaches aren't cheap), and because of the industry it will be 12 hour shifts. My OH will be out in the day too.
I'm worried that I won't be able to look after my Beardie properly, working 12 hours a few times a week, and then it's travel, so more like 14-15 hours. :(
I'm worried I might have to find him a new owner that can look after him properly in the day and it breaks my heart, but I know I need to put his well being before my feelings.
Any help? :cry:

Birdy

Hatchling Member
Hi, well how big is he? If Boo is older than a year he can eat greens most of the time. You could feed him before you go to work in the morning, or put put his food in at night so then Boo can eat it the next day... Pellets are a great option when you are in a hurry you just dump some in a dish and add water, same with dried crickets put them in there and leave. This is what i do when i'm in a hurry. And you can see him in the morning or when you get home. My BDs go to bed at 10o clock at night, so it is possible to keep him, and don't give up hope there is always a ray of hope! :blob8:

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Birdy":t5nosq4y said:
Hi, well how big is he? If Boo is older than a year he can eat greens most of the time. You could feed him before you go to work in the morning, or put put his food in at night so then Boo can eat it the next day... Pellets are a great option when you are in a hurry you just dump some in a dish and add water, same with dried crickets put them in there and leave. This is what i do when i'm in a hurry. And you can see him in the morning or when you get home. My BDs go to bed at 10o clock at night, so it is possible to keep him, and don't give up hope there is always a ray of hope! :blob8:

Pellets and dried crickets aren't actually a good option. While yes, they are easy and cheap, they aren't healthy and are not providing your dragon with essential nutrients.

To the OP: Yes, it is possible to make this work. Setting your BD lights on a timer, feeding before and after work, and other adjustments can help make your and your BD's life easier.

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
due to my eventual work schedule being one thirty pm in the afternoon to ten pm at night even though feedings are sporatic til i start this actual schedule the lights have been set to start at ten am so that the first feeding can be two hours after the lights come on, and then go off at midnight. This way when that schedule actually starts i an feed my beardie at least an hour before the lights go out.

morning feedings have been consistant at about noon daily and then i put some additional food in his encloseure about an hour before I leave to hold him over to the next day.

Hope this information helps, and hope everything works out for you.

Interesting thing is i only became a juvinile beardie owner last friday.

good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zazzep
Top Bottom