Almost Buried my Beardie Alive? Then I read about Rigamortis

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatLizardGuy

Hatchling Member
Not sure what is going on.

Last Night Went to give my Beardies Hornworms noticed one was sleeping which is odd.

Picked her up and she was lifeless.

So Depessed.

I looked up ways to bury Beardies this morning and read that when a Beardie Dies they become Stiff from Rigamortis.

She was Warm and not stiff at all.

Also read belly would be purple and spread - not the case.

So I figured maybe she is in Brumation but I have no experience with it since none of my beardies have ever gone through it and have been keeping them for 6-7 years.

But I read they sleep in brumation but if you touch them they will at least open their eyes and look at you.

My friend said when his Tegu died his tongue came out.

Hers is not out and she looks normal just does not move at all.

When I turn her over upside down she doesn't even move.

I am so confused I have seen videos of peoples beardies that died and they were stiff.

I left for work at 1:30 PM and she was still not stiff at all.

So I am so confused.

Is she alive or dead?

If she is alive I almost buried her alive !!!!

I read Rigamortise sets in at 30 Minutes but this has been going on for 9 hours minimum from when I noticed to when I left for work.

The Night before she was alert and fine - next day I assumed she died.

She hasnt lost her color like people say beardied do when they die but she is absolutly lifeless.

People aslo said she would smell but she doesn't

What do I do?

Please Help I feel so bad.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I'm so sorry, this must be heart wrenching for you. :( It wouldn't be brumation, they do wake up + react at least a little bit if you handle them. Have you had the lights on her all this time, that could keep her body warm and a bit more soft when picked up. But just to clear things up, was she like this last night or just since this morning ? Her being in a warm tank would keep her fron turning stiff as quickly.

If you see no breathing at all when looking very closely and if she doesn't at least try to move when you turn her over then she is almost certainly dead.

thatLizardGuy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":1qt6mrv5 said:
I'm so sorry, this must be heart wrenching for you. :( It wouldn't be brumation, they do wake up + react at least a little bit if you handle them. Have you had the lights on her all this time, that could keep her body warm and a bit more soft when picked up. But just to clear things up, was she like this last night or just since this morning ? Her being in a warm tank would keep her fron turning stiff as quickly.

If you see no breathing at all when looking very closely and if she doesn't at least try to move when you turn her over then she is almost certainly dead.

It is very tough. Thanks for your care.

Yes, she was warm at last night as lights were on.

But Today as of 1:00 PM before work she was just like last night just not warm due to no lights but she wasnt stiff?

I would think she is surely passed on too.

But why is she not stiff by now?

How long does that take?

thatLizardGuy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I am wondering is she paralyzed or in a coma?

Can she hear me?

Is she in pain?

Has anybody else heard of this happening to a Beardie?

thatLizardGuy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Back from work.

She looks the same.

Color is good (She looks better than my other 5 Dragons).

No Purple Belly.

She isn't stiff.

People are yelling at me saying I am keeping a dead lizard in the house and it will spread disease and make everyone sick.

I do not think disease can be sent from Reptiles to Humans but am I wrong?

If she is Brumating I do not want to Bury her Alive.

Any Thoughts?

thatLizardGuy

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I read to check to see if the eyes are rolled back.

After Opening up the Eye Lids they look normal.

What should I do?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I did answer on your other post.
So you haven't seen any signs of her breathing at all, or any other movement from her?
She should be stiff by now, I would think. I hate to ask, do you have any pictures of her?
I am so sorry, I know this is distressing to have to go through.

Tracie

When mine died, he turned stiff BEFORE he totally died. He like turned stiff slowly over a few days. It was disturbing. I think he's alive...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom