Occasional Glass Surfing and Basking Light Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
My beardie occasionally glass surfs. I thing it's partially because i can't give him extended long periods of time out of the tank yet (other than for bathing/misting) due to the fact i'm still working jobs this week and an evening work schedule at my part time job which will be come my full time job next week. The other reason is he's juvenile, but i'm working with a 20 gallon tall until i can save money to get a bigger space for him to grow into. (thankfully with this size tank cleaned and repurposed from when it was used as an aquarium) I have 6-12 months before i have to make to move to anything 40gallons and up (at that point the kitchen table will probably be sacrificed as i have nothing lower that he can fit under unless i use the bar counter in my condo or put him in my bedroom. Which probably won't work as i'm always in my living room). Please see the setup below.
The lighting setup that you can't see is a 150W exoterra intense basking bulb (because this is a twenty gallon tall 100W didn't cut it), 26W UVB bulb by all good things, 150W black nighttime basking bulb over the 'cool area" (again because 20 gallon tall and this size tank doesn't have room for a better heating system so the night basking light is on 24hours).
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h237/Jamiecole2/Vash%20the%20Bearded%20Dragon/beardie%20setup_zpsnzytoayk.jpg

Also why does my basking light heat up so slow in my tank. My digital thermometer reads a slow rise and it's been about 10-15 minutes after i turned it back on after spot cleaning a deposit on the basking rock. The digital thermometer that i have lowered so that it's behind the top part of the basking rock is only reading about 95.8 right now. Is it normal for basking lights to heat up that slow?

Insight and thoughts welcome.

j3ss1c4

hmm... the glass surfing could very well be due to the fact that his viv is too small for his current needs like you mentioned. but since you're working on getting him a 40gal, he may just have to put up with it for a little longer. you also mentioned he has a nighttime basking bulb on for all day and night, and that may disturb his sleeping patterns because the little critters sleep best in pitch black, cool conditions. unless the temperature drops below 65(ish) degrees at night, then ceramic heaters can come in handy; they emit no light, only warmth! from my personal experience my beardie's viv heats up pretty slowly, so from what i know that's normal :blob8: i hope i helped you out a bit, but you may need some more insight since i'm pretty new to being a beardie owner too!

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
did one other thing today, it's probably going to stress them out slightly for the next day or two but i moved his aquarium to the former TV entertainment stand. His former location was close enough to the air conditioner which could have affected the readings on the Digital Thermometer I have.

Followed your advice and took down the Night basking light. And his aquarium still gets a little bit of the sunlight from the window.

Thank you very much for your input.

Shidohari

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It's not as direct as it was when he was next to the window but he's sitting on a higher piece of furniture now. Though since it's a 20 gallon tall it'll be more interesting for me to try to get him out of the tank if he decides to be skittish.

The thermometer issue was because the temp reading part of the probe wasn't visible. Brought it up to the level of where the highest point of the basking rock/cave from petsmart is. So it's actually reading correct temperatures now. Also where beardie is, he can ALWAYS see me if he's facing the front of the glass

Just put 10 more small crickets into his tank as it's about a hour before his lights go out for the night and i got home without having to work my warehouse job tonight or tomorrow. Thursday night he's probably not going to get more than the early feeding and one a couple hours later right before i go to work.

Dude he's either enjoying the uvb as that's the bulb he's directly under (which is right next to the basking bulb) or watching me...Or those ten crickets i put in his tank lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom