Aggressive :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright I'm back. I posted a few days ago about my bearded dragon and him not eating. Update, I gave him flukers reptaboost to try and compensate for the food he refuses to eat. As a little bit of background, about 2 1/2 almost 3 months ago, cudi (kid cudi ?) started showing signs of his first brumation. His behavior and all symptoms were identical to all the information that I researched about Brumating. From not eating and slowing down their bodies to a near standstill to prevent weight loss Almost completely, to hiding from lights and sleeping a lot. He slept on and off, ate every few days & then after only wanting veggies, he switched up and would only eat superworms. Nothing else, only superworms. The only other thing he'd even look at was hornworms. The behavior continued for about a month and a half. And then after eating more and more, more frequently, he completely went back to normal, except for never really pooping. He still rarely poops. Cudi turned 1 the first week of September. He also went through his pissy puberty stage at 7-8 months old.

We've been noticing that he's hiding from the light and starting to sleep a lot more. Almost all day, and he stopped eating a little more than week ago. He hasn't lost much weight, but he's lost more in this short period of time than he did when he started to act like he was starting to Brumate. He's never been aggressive, except for one incident during his puberty stage, where he hit sexual maturity & would puff up when we tried to hold him & dart from one side of the tank to the other bobbing his head rapidly with a black beard. It only happened once and lasted for less than an hour and he went back to normal like it had never happened.

But tonight was something I've never witnessed from him before & it kinda hurt my feelings lmao. He was hiding from the light in his tank so I took him out around 6 or 7:00p & laid him in his spot on my bed and covered him with his blanket and he went to sleep. He's spoiled I know. About an hour ago, I came into my room & picked him up to see if maybe he would ease my worries and actually eat, his colors were vibrant as hell, he was fine. And then he opened his eyes and immediately started to puff up his beard and pancake, the widest I've ever seen him go. And anything I moved at all, he would jump back, puff up his beard as far as it would go and hiss. Every move. He finally calmed down enough for me to pick him back up to put him in his tank, & he started running across my hands, and when he got to my bed, he ran faster than I've ever seen, and threw himself underneath his blanket but kept squirming hard while inside. I used the blanket to bring him to his tank and the second he got out he was back to darting around the tank, jumping, puffing, and hissing, with a full black beard. He's never done this to me before. When he did it during puberty, it was my fiancé that felt his wrath. But tonight he did it to me and he's like my kid and it hurt my feelings lmfao.

My questions are probably obvious. What's going on?
Is it possible that he could be going back into brumation, and if so is it normal for them to go in and out of it like mine is? Is it puberty again? Does any of this coincide with any potential health issues that I should have checked out? Should I be worried? Lol. Any tips, tricks, or advice is much appreciated.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Some of the behavior sounds like brumation. Do continue to monitor his weight to ensure that stays relatively stable. Downward trending weight can be a sign of illness. My guess is that when you had him out something spooked him for one reason or another and sent him into high alert mode with the fast movements and the relatively defensive actions. When that happens it's usually temporary and not a huge deal. I'd keep his lights on the same schedule and leave a salad for him in case he wants to come out for some. Otherwise let him be if his weight is OK. They can go through odd and sometimes unpredictable cycles sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom