FYI: Very Cheap Basking Bulbs At Walmart and DollarTree!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I thought I should post this so that people can keep their eyes open and save a huge amount of money, as well as stock up on basking bulbs. I have 2 Walmarts within 5 minutes of my house (ridiculous, I know), and both have a special "Clearance Aisle" that I walk through when I'm there, as I've found some good stuff very, very cheap. Well during the last 2 months I've found numerous GE and Phillips brand halogen indoor flood bulbs in the Clearance Aisle at both Walmarts for between $0.25 and $2, depending on the wattage. I bought 4 100 watt GE halogen indoor flood bulbs for $1 a piece yesterday, so I'm stocked up on basking bulbs for a while. Then I went to the other Walmart and found two 75 watt halogen indoor flood bulbs for $0.25 a piece!

In addition, it you have a use for a 65 watt halogen indoor flood bulb, like a "Cool Side" bulb, the DollarTree sells 65 watt halogen indoor flood bulbs for $1 a piece. I wish they had additional wattages, but they're only the 65 watt ones. But I grabbed 4 of those too, because I use one over my Cool Sides in my custom enclosures.

KeyBlu422

Juvie Member
Ha, that's pretty cool. Shortly after I decided to go buy two "reptile made" basking bulbs at Petsmart, I found out it was really just branding and the whole "reptile made" was crap. I'll be sure to keep an eye out now, I was thinking my next bulb would be a halogen from Home Depot but didn't really consider Dollar Tree or Walmart before until now. Also, I bought two uvb compacts(Exo Terra) and was wondering, since I haven't touched it yet(am only 3-4 months into my first) would it still be fine to use? I figured it would be since what produces the uvb diminishes after use but would like to know instead of guess.

PuppysPets

At my Walmart, near the fish section, there are these heat bulbs made for turtles. Our Walmart has a lot of turtle and reptile stuff since almost every household has at least a red ear slider (including myself) or a lizard of some kind. They provide great heat and are even water resistant. They are from the Tetra brand and I believe are called "Aquabulbs." they are good alternatives for those times when your bulb blows at inconvenient times.

Lorilyn

Hatchling Member
Do the halogen bulbs also give off heat? Newbie here trying to learn all the tricks and tips.
Thank you

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yes, halogen bulbs do give off heat. I've been using halogen flood lights as basking bulbs for some time now and they work very well. They are easy to dim in order to fine tune their output as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom