Is walking your bearded dragon outside really safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So when I first got my two beardies in April 2017, I was told to never take them outside at all, even if they are in a plastic box. This was in case birds took them, which is still my biggest pet fear, to this day. But upon looking up on Wikihow.com, 'cool things to do with your bearded dragon' (or something), I was shown the practice of walking your bearded dragon on a leash/lead. I though damn, this must be cool, I've never seen it in the streets and how cool will I look? When my beardies are all grown up, and they're big enough, I can walk them outside in the backyard, in my neighbourhood, in my... Oh... wait. What if a bird swoops down and catches my beardie, still attached to the leash, as I pull him/her back down, to find him/her mauled to a near-death state. :puke:

It's now my SECOND biggest pet fear, and I guess I know why no one walks their bearded dragon out doors. But, if people still sell this invention, does that mean it's still safe and sound? Am I just missing something like a bird deterrent device or is everyone just not telling me about how dangerous this is?

I don't wanna try this out for the first time to get my beardie taken by a bird and everyone on this website say "Man, as a bearded dragon owner, you should be more responsible with your pets, shame on you."

This is my third biggest pet fear. (Obviously you can see a pattern.) But my point is, is this sport/practice/concept even safe at all? Is there a "Walk your beardie" club on facebook that I should join, for more info? And how common is it for a bird to swoop up your bearded dragon in your backyard or on a walk?

Your thoughts.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Many people take their beardies outside on a harness and leash, so I'm not sure why you've never seen it, but it's just like anything else, you must be responsible and supervise them at all times... I've heard of birds swooping down at beardies that were not on a harness and leash, which is incredibly irresponsible, but how often do you see birds swoop down at people? I mean, there are many small dogs and cats that could potentially be injured or killed by birds, and I've heard of this happening with pet parrots that were not on a harness and leash too. But beardies don't often "walk" on a leash, they move when they want to move, lol. So when I take my guys outside they are always on a harness and leash, and I'm either carrying them (if I'm moving), or I'm sitting with them in the yard, and birds don't come near me. So it's all about being responsible and supervising them at all times. But whoever told you to never take them outside either had a very bad experience, or is very paranoid.

I can't ensure you 100% that nothing will ever happen to your beardie, or your dog, cat, child, etc. But I can say that if you always have your beardie on a harness and leash and you're always supervising him, he should be just fine.

MungoAster

Original Poster
EllenD":o5msks2b said:
Many people take their beardies outside on a harness and leash, so I'm not sure why you've never seen it, but it's just like anything else, you must be responsible and supervise them at all times... I've heard of birds swooping down at beardies that were not on a harness and leash, which is incredibly irresponsible, but how often do you see birds swoop down at people? I mean, there are many small dogs and cats that could potentially be injured or killed by birds, and I've heard of this happening with pet parrots that were not on a harness and leash too. But beardies don't often "walk" on a leash, they move when they want to move, lol. So when I take my guys outside they are always on a harness and leash, and I'm either carrying them (if I'm moving), or I'm sitting with them in the yard, and birds don't come near me. So it's all about being responsible and supervising them at all times. But whoever told you to never take them outside either had a very bad experience, or is very paranoid.

I can't ensure you 100% that nothing will ever happen to your beardie, or your dog, cat, child, etc. But I can say that if you always have your beardie on a harness and leash and you're always supervising him, he should be just fine.

I feel further trusting in this idea, I haven't seen any beardies being walked because I live in a quiet, small neighbourhood. I am in Australia though, it's just I've never seen people walking a pet lizard in my life.

Thank you for your feedback, anyways!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
MungoAster":1dv79es0 said:
EllenD":1dv79es0 said:

I feel further trusting in this idea, I haven't seen any beardies being walked because I live in a quiet, small neighbourhood. I am in Australia though, it's just I've never seen people walking a pet lizard in my life.
<<<< if you read the regulations for your native animal companion animal keeper's licence or your native animal keepers' licence you will note it's illegal to take your pet reptile anywhere outside your place of residence other than to the vet or to society shows.
(This applies in Australia).
Reason being - it's too stressful to the animal.

Excusions into YOUR yard or garden are fine, but please ensure you supervise and protect your CAPTIVE BRED dragon at all times , there are always
>>> kookaburras , indian minner birds, hawks, wedge tailed eagles about
>>> free roaming cats about (most cat owners in Australia let their cats roam 24/7 with no restrictions
>>> and there are often toxic plants and toxic insects (such a catepillars which live on toxic leaves) around

I'm in NSW ,
http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/licences-and-permits/wildlife-licences/native-animals-as-pets
this is for NSW only , but all states have similar (virtually identical) licencing .

8. Transport Objectives To keep the reptile safe and secure during transport. Reptiles will typically be transported over short distances when attending veterinary surgeries or society shows.
see Code of Practice http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/~/media/3ECDCE790D5240F191A7B99EC46D1DAF.ashx

Thank you for your feedback, anyways!

Ghoul

My fiance and I take our beardie to the park about once a week! She loves to bask in the sun, and we make sure to only take her out when it's warm out. The UVB from the sun is really good for them; better than most lights you'll get at a pet store.

We keep a sharp eye on her, and have never seen birds swoop down at her. They're usually too afraid of the two humans with her! What I'm usually more worried about is if places use pesticides. We make sure everything is clear when we go out with her. Weeds are usually a good sign that it's a safe place to go - and sometimes Bourbon will even start munching on dandelion leaves. :D

However, she's super lazy and not a fan of the whole "walking" part...we have to carry her to the park, and she lazes about in the sun while we're there. That is, until we have to leave, and then she tries to zoom away from us so she can stay longer! :lol: If you have a well-fitting harness (we made ours with instructions online), you should be pretty solid.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I didn't realize this OP was in Australia, nor that you couldn't take your beardie out and about in Australia... Interesting.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Its like with anything else, supervise and be cautious. Taking beardies outside is the best UVB they can get but also make sure they are supervised. You can get a harness and leash like EllenD suggested. Whenever they are outside their natural instincts come into play so just be careful and watch your beardie :D

Casir141

I feel the leash is not for "walking" your Beared dragon but keep them from escaping or bolting off and close to you at all times. I would not walk them like a dog for fear of stepping on them which would most likely not end well. I don't think you can leash train a dragon like you can a dog either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom