Bearded dragon, Leopard Gecko or Blue tounge skink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

123animals

Hello!

I have been wanting to own a reptile for some time now but I am having a hard time choosing! I am living at home and I have quite a small room but I am prepared to move/sell furniture to make space for a tank. I am looking for a lizard that feels comfortable when being handled (it will be handled) and that enjoys exploring. I heard that beardies are quite cuddly but I heard that leopard geckos and blue tounge skinks are as well. So now I cannot choose!

Here are some questions (I apologise for the list)
- Which lizard enjoys handling the most?
- Which lizard enjoys being with its owner?
- What is the difference in activity between beardies and BTS?
-What lizard is most awake during the day (I would prefer it to not be nocturnal)?

I am fine with a crepuscular lizard as I have chinchillas but nocturnal is going a bit far for me :)

Also what is the best cage size for them all as I could only find gallons and inches (I reside in NZ).

Thank you!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there...beardies are generally the most personable of them all. Leos are nocturnal, and BTS get quite a bit larger than beardies. So I would say a beardie in a 75 gal. tank [ or similar enclosure ] is the best pet. :)

Good Evening, each of the reptiles you mentioned above are great! Each have their pros and cons. But with that being said, I favor the Beardie. I currently own two and they are beyond personable. You walk in the room and they turn their head with curiosity. Love attention! They require at least a 40 gallon breeder. I always recommend more.
If you are tight on space, you might prefer the gecko. They do not need the large amount of space that both the BTS and Beardies need. But they are smaller, not as personable.

I would definitely say beardies are the most personable of those listed. My 2 (Bruce and Natasha aka hulk and black widow) are amazing. They love to be held and will readily soak up heat from your hand and also love a soft warm blanket. I have mine in a 55 gal aquarium (2 separate tanks) with wire mesh lids.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
123animals":2wzyypaq said:
Hello!

I have been wanting to own a reptile for some time now but I am having a hard time choosing! I am living at home and I have quite a small room but I am prepared to move/sell furniture to make space for a tank. I am looking for a lizard that feels comfortable when being handled (it will be handled) and that enjoys exploring. I heard that beardies are quite cuddly but I heard that leopard geckos and blue tounge skinks are as well. So now I cannot choose!

Here are some questions (I apologise for the list)
- Which lizard enjoys handling the most? can't comment on the LG, but my BTSs and beardies love snuggles and even seek us out if we leave the room, been known follow us into other rooms and be the watching us when we go to the toilet ( with that "watca doing ?" look ).

- Which lizard enjoys being with its owner? my skinks and beardies love being snuggled and petted.
- What is the difference in activity between beardies and BTS? Every one is different , and BTs are surprisingly active and active (when it suits them) , same applies to my beardies.
-What lizard is most awake during the day (I would prefer it to not be nocturnal)?
<<< all are different : well my beardies and BTs all love watching tv , and have all been known to wake up and want cuddles or to watch TV well after lights out for them, and lately my beardie boy has been waking up at 1am and climbing ontop his hide and asking me for attention - if I don't acknowledge him he ups the anty and scratches on side to get my attention, so I talk to for a little while and then tell him back to bed ( and he goes there , so I guess he's satisfied.
Toothless wakes up at the crack of dawn, and is often awake and waiting for the lights to come on and will bask all day waiting for his diner and a cuddle and some floor time , he goes to bed about 5:30pm.
Peppa often sleeps in , and then wants to stay up late.
The BTs are getting on in age and have a set routine they like to stick to, up about 1 hr after the lights turn on , a bit human contact time , a nap, back up for diner and floor time and another snuggle , some TV , bed after a snuggle.

I am fine with a crepuscular lizard as I have chinchillas but nocturnal is going a bit far for me :)

Also what is the best cage size for them all as I could only find gallons and inches (I reside in NZ).

Adults : 4ft x 2ft x 2ft for beardies , 4ft x 2ft x 1.5ft for BTs (don't need as much height for basking branches or platforms.
'Front opening (sliding glass front doors) is very good , marine ply construction. Solid timber lid , the yanks seem to love those glass fish tanks with mesh lids , but it's a stupid viv design , with more problems that benefits.

Thank you!
I have very personable and smoogy skinks and dragons, it's all in the rearing .
My BTs were brought home as 2 month old babies and loved snuggles and being petted from the getgo.
My current beardies came home as 5 week old hatchlings , Peppa has always been very much a people lizard, always loves a snuggle (she'd rather snuggle than go on the floor for fun time most days) , Toothless has always be the livewire and wasn't much into snuggles at the start but he came around eventually ( actually went on hunger strike last year for month when I was in hospital , pining for his daddy and gave me a wonderful greeting when I discharged myself and came home).

None of mine has ever show any aggression to my wife, my grandson or me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom