On the matter of photoperiods for beardies

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Many o/seas beardie caresheets advocate a 12 hour photoperiod. This is not based on any hard science or even the writers of these caresheets ever having actually visited or lived in the natural range of these reptiles and it's become accepted simply because this is what people overseas in the USA and European nations think is right for summer time daylight hours.

I use a photoperiod of 16 hours based on personal experience and observation year round in the natural range of beardies (working and doing 4x4 camping safaris throughout their natural range).

WINTER_MT_ISA_DAYS.png

WINTER_ALICE_SPRINGS_DAYS.png

WINTER_WOOMERA_DAYS.png

SUMMER_WOOMERA_DAYS.png

These are from https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/@2057826

I’ve been in CBD & rankins territory and seen these reptiles still active well into twilight (this is peak insect time in these area) , so I add civil twilight to the daylight hours.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree that 12 is too short for most of the year. I keep mine on for no longer than 14 hrs. per day, down to about 12 in winter and if they want to brumate they do.

Your daylight hours aren't 16 hours long all year are they ? I think 16 hrs. is unnatural and too long + may be putting a bit of stress on them if done all year long.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Thanks for starting a new thread about this, guys (so I didn't have to). :wink:

"Daylight + civil twilight hours = optimum beardie photoperiod" actually makes sense, especially since you don't usually get twilight from artificial lighting (I've got all my heat lamps on dimmer switches so I could probably fake some twilight if I wanted to, but the fluorescent UV tubes don't work that way), and I get that beardies will slow down and even brumate if they're not getting enough light for long enough, but how would you know if your beardie was stressed out from an artificial photoperiod that's too long instead of too short?

And BTW King -- you've successfully convinced me (over on the other thread) that I shouldn't be complaining about the electric bills because it could be a LOT worse :shock:

At least we don't need AC in Alaska, but my husband wants to put solar panels on the roof. It might help in the summer with the "midnight sun".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom