Baths

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
I have a questing regarding baths and hydrating.
I hear so many people say that baths can hydrate a beardie. But i recently came across some very compelling information which is to the contrary of these beliefs.
I found it on a website called "reptile apartment." Much, if not all of their information seems to be based off of scientific studies, rather than opinions.
The reasons they give for why a beardie can not be hydrated through bathing is very hard to refute. One of the statements, i can't recall word for word, states something to the effect that, if bearded dragons actually could absorb water through the vent, it would do more harm than good. They also talk about how a bearded dragons skin is constructed in such a way that it repels water.
I would really like if someone would read this article and share their thoughts about it. Thank You

LewisBD

Hatchling Member
Iloverex":2nym8dmq said:
I have a questing regarding baths and hydrating.
I hear so many people say that baths can hydrate a beardie. But i recently came across some very compelling information which is to the contrary of these beliefs.
I found it on a website called "reptile apartment." Much, if not all of their information seems to be based off of scientific studies, rather than opinions.
The reasons they give for why a beardie can not be hydrated through bathing is very hard to refute. One of the statements, i can't recall word for word, states something to the effect that, if bearded dragons actually could absorb water through the vent, it would do more harm than good. They also talk about how a bearded dragons skin is constructed in such a way that it repels water.
I would really like if someone would read this article and share their thoughts about it. Thank You

Baths are usually needed if a bearide is impacted, dirty/smelly, genuinely enjoys them, or if you have a beardie like mine, 'is potty trained'. Other than that, there's really no use for them, I don' think they get hydrated from water going through their vent or skin. You could mist them or drop water onto their snout with a dropper if you're worried about dehydration.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Glad to hear my beardeddragon.org friends are on the same page. But as far as drinking bath water, isn't it not good for them to drink tap water?

Iloverex":jf7n2597 said:
Glad to hear my beardeddragon.org friends are on the same page. But as far as drinking bath water, isn't it not good for them to drink tap water?

There can be nasties in unfiltered tap water, yes. I only use water that's been previously boiled in a kettle, so it's sterile.

Madrededragones

If you like things backed up by science and logic you should definitely join a Facebook group called Bearded Dragons Network. With that being said here's a small bit from a file that they have when it comes to baths for bearded dragons:

"A dragon should not be bathed really. Unless dirty.
And by dirty, I mean. Has walked, and proceeded to paint their tank in their own ****.
Also, it's good exercise if needed :)

OK. So the shedding thing. It will help the already flakey bits come off. But any non-loose parts. It won't affect at all.
Dragon skin is a 100% waterproof keratin based protein. Fully designed to keep all moisture in. And let none out. So the skin is not porous like ours.

No poop. They will go when they are ready. Warm water acts as a muscle relaxant. In turn, the dragon's movements in the bath will often induce a poop. This is a sure fire way of aiding actual dehydration. As it's food that has not yet been fully utilized by the dragon.
Hence why many find undigested foods in a bath poop.

Hydration. If the water gets drunk, yes. Via the mouth. The dragon is hydrating.
It does not hydrate through the skin, as per above reasons.
Or via the vent."

Hope this helped.

Madrededragones

daughterofMyou":3et1beam said:
Iloverex":3et1beam said:

There can be nasties in unfiltered tap water, yes. I only use water that's been previously boiled in a kettle, so it's sterile.

Boiling is not sterilization and is more accurately characterized as pasteurization.

Nithogger

Tap water where Im from is good enough to drink for a bearded dragon, so no worry there for me. apart from that, I've heard about hydrating via the skin, I believe the thorned devil does that, looks like a bearded dragon, so I've wondered if its the same for bearded dragons but never found any evidence of that.

So yea, biggest factor is drinking the bath water, even if the skin lets water through.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The moloch horridus [ thorny devil ] does so through capillary action, but the bearded dragon can not. I think there is one more lizard that can....[ it might be the horned lizard.] The water channels through capillaries directly to the mouth....absolutely amazing! You can see it happen on youtube if you Google it. BBC had a program that featured it. Let's see if this site will let me post it :

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjw5cTKuIzWAhXI0iYKHew2DxsQtwIIKDAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DZUsARF-CBcI&usg=AFQjCNH7f3IEkMkXvUYm25MnaPnG31Gfdg

The thorny devil part is at 3:30 on.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
I wrote out a long explanation as to why bearded dragons, like humans, could not absorb water through their distal intestinal tract or through their skin, and how it actually only dehydrated them unless they actively drink through their mouths. I'd post it here, but I actually got a warning because "We don't need to be so scientific! What are you trying to prove?" And then was told I shouldn't challenge any of the moderators thoughts, and I might get banned from the board for "showing off".

So yeah, they absorb water through their vents and skin...?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Either way regarding the baths, they do absorb water from their food so it's important to offer fresh food and bugs that have access to fresh food so they pass the water along. They also drink if they need it and dripping water on their noses will almost always do the job. In some cases flicking at a water dish will attract them to standing water as well.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Yeah, oddly both my rescue boy and my newer, 4 month old boy both drink regularly, every single day from their bowls, so I fill their bowls every day and let them drink, but never drink in the bath. Might be due to the warmer water, but either way neither my first boy who lived for 13 years nor my current 10 month old girl have ever taken a drink out of anything, and I've never seen them drink water droplets after misting, but both were and are very well hydrated just from their live insects and greens/veggies.

This is why it's so important to feed only live feeder insects and not long-dead or especially freeze-dried insects, especially to babies and juveniles who eat little to no greens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom