Normal Shed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielleGia920

Hatchling Member
Hi guys. I've had my bearded dragon 3 weeks now and he seems very annoyed. Anytime I go near his viv he is very jumpy and does not want me near him. He shed his face/neck two days ago and now his entire back, especially tail, has completely changed color. His tail almost looks white. Is this just from the shedding or could he be ill? This picture I took today so you can see how the tail almost looks white..and as you can see he's giving me the evil eye ☹️
93630-5965398312.jpg

This picture I took a few days ago while he was sleeping in my hand. He was all one color and not at all jumpy and moody.
93630-7728748647.jpg

DanielleGia920

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Omg, that's an awesome picture. What a beautiful color!

Are they always this cranky and irritable or does it get easier as they get older?

Thanks!!!

DanielleGia920

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok, I guess that's good news. I'm kind of bummed, he just got over being relocated and was finally warming up to me, even fell asleep in my hand. Now he's shedding and hates me again! Go figure lol

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
He doesn't hate you, he's just a baby and hasn't yet figured out that you're not the cause of his discomfort. I've now had 3 beardies that I've raised from around a month old, and I think their first one or two sheds are the hardest, and after that they just kind of get used to it, or they figure out that it's not you doing it, lol. Seriously though, after all 3 of mine were grumpy through their first 1 or 2 sheds, they then we're fine during future sheds. Maybe a little grumpy from constantly rubbing themselves on things because of the itching, but not grumpy towards me. I guess they're all individuals and some are bothered by sheds more than others, but as they get older they shed less and less, so that's a good thing.

If your guy continues to be that bothered when he sheds, you might want to give him a warm bath every other day while he's shedding, even every day while he's shedding if he enjoys it, it won't hurt him and if he enjoys a bath then it's a good thing, it will ease his discomfort and help the dead skin to come off more quickly. Of course if he doesn't like baths then you don't want to stress him out more than he already is, but still giving him a warm bath every other day or every two days while he's shedding will make him feel much better, and he may actually grow to love baths if he associates them with feeling better. I've never tried it with my beardies myself, but I've heard several people swear by using Shed-Ease in their baths while they're shedding, so that's something you may want to try. They sell it at Petco and PetSmart and any reptile specialty stores, and it's all-natural so it can't hurt him. It's worth trying to see if it helps. I do use Ecotrition Molt-Ease on my parrots when they're molting and it helps a great deal. Same principle, it contains Aloe, Lanolin, and Purcellin Oil, which birds produce naturally from their preen glands and use to preen themselves all the time, so it helps a lot when they're molting and full of pin feathers. Worth a shot.

DanielleGia920

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks Ellen! I actually just ordered the shed ease yesterday, should be here tomorow! I give him warm soaks every day which he's now become accustomed to. Hopefully the shed ease will help him out a bit.

Thanks for your help!

Danielle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom