10 week old kitten and baby bearded dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

syd93

Hi my cat Sterling gave birth to 6 kittens but I was going to keep one very friendly kitten I named Sylvia. So can a tiny kitten and a tiny beardie grow up to be friends or is a bearded dragon out of the question?

Garrus

You can have both, but neither can have access to the other. Cats are natural predators of lizards, and domestication has not at all dulled their hunting instincts.

MaxReedLeo07

As juveniles you need to gently dirt their bugs with diet powder every feeding. As adults you should dirt their bugs several instances every week. They need calcium and D3 the most.

syd93

Original Poster
MaxReedLeo07":9yjo5m5f said:
As juveniles you need to gently dirt their bugs with diet powder every feeding. As adults you should dirt their bugs several instances every week. They need calcium and D3 the most.
Thanks for the tip, i May get one tommarrow, it's a tough decision to make, i just i can find a cat proof vivarium :)

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
This needs to be taken very seriously by you. Lots of people have both a bearded dragon and a cat, but they can never be allowed in the same room together, whether supervised or not. And you have to realize that your beardie's tank must be kept inside a room with a door that latches and that the cat is never allowed to be inside. Just seeing a cat will completely stress your beardie out and cause health issues, and once a cat sees a bearded dragon it will never leave it alone. If the cat is allowed in the same room as the beardie the cat will continue to try to get inside it's tank, they can jump on top of anything, so often we hear about cats actually getting the kids off of the beardie tank and either batting the beardie around inside the tank, or actually taking the beardie out of the tank and then torturing it until it's severely injured or dead.

Also, all cats have a bacteria in their saliva that is lethal to reptiles if the cat bites or scratches the beardie, or if the beardie has an open wound and the saliva gets into it, or in their mouths or eyes. Most beardies that are exposed to cat saliva if the saliva gets into their bloodstream die.

So the answer to your question is no, they will never be friends, never. Just the sight of your cat will cause your beardie great anxiety no matter what his age or size, and cats are hunters, always will be. You can have the nicest car in the world, but it is still a hunter. It takes only one second, or one day you're at work and don't have your beardie's enclosure in a room behind a latching door for your beardie to be stressed, tortured, or killed. So no, they will never be friends, and if you don't have a room with a latching door that is always off-limits to your cat, then no, you shouldn't get a bearded dragon. If you have a room with a latching door that your cat will never be allowed in at any time, then it can work if you are strict about keeping the cat out at all times.

syd93

Original Poster
EllenD":bdppzxpl said:
This needs to be taken very seriously by you. Lots of people have both a bearded dragon and a cat, but they can never be allowed in the same room together, whether supervised or not. And you have to realize that your beardie's tank must be kept inside a room with a door that latches and that the cat is never allowed to be inside. Just seeing a cat will completely stress your beardie out and cause health issues, and once a cat sees a bearded dragon it will never leave it alone. If the cat is allowed in the same room as the beardie the cat will continue to try to get inside it's tank, they can jump on top of anything, so often we hear about cats actually getting the kids off of the beardie tank and either batting the beardie around inside the tank, or actually taking the beardie out of the tank and then torturing it until it's severely injured or dead.

Also, all cats have a bacteria in their saliva that is lethal to reptiles if the cat bites or scratches the beardie, or if the beardie has an open wound and the saliva gets into it, or in their mouths or eyes. Most beardies that are exposed to cat saliva if the saliva gets into their bloodstream die.

So the answer to your question is no, they will never be friends, never. Just the sight of your cat will cause your beardie great anxiety no matter what his age or size, and cats are hunters, always will be. You can have the nicest car in the world, but it is still a hunter. It takes only one second, or one day you're at work and don't have your beardie's enclosure in a room behind a latching door for your beardie to be stressed, tortured, or killed. So no, they will never be friends, and if you don't have a room with a latching door that is always off-limits to your cat, then no, you shouldn't get a bearded dragon. If you have a room with a latching door that your cat will never be allowed in at any time, then it can work if you are strict about keeping the cat out at all times.

Well I have a baby beardie now and Sylvia hasn't even noticed the lizard, in facts she's sleeping beside me as i type, even the adult cat i have totally ignores the beardie, doesn't break in the vivarium (which is hard to open even for me so my cat doesn't have a chance of opening it either). She doesn't even sleep in the lid, but i know there is a risk, that's why for the 1st few days i'd close the door when i'm not in the room to prevent an accident. I love having my kitten in my room, but i will watching her closely if she tries anything to the baby, for now she hardly notices the lizard

WilliamVRiley

There used to be a decent piece about shaft use on OM by one of the standard givers - on the off chance that somebody superior to anything me at discovering it can do as such and give a connection it's most likely justified regardless of a read. Likewise with any new pack, yet particularly something you may put impressive endless supply of, it is positively worth honing before leaving with it untested or new on a long voyage I figure.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
BAD IDEA . NO IFFS NO BUTS.

Is very dangerous having a cat and lizard living in the same house. Kittens become sadistic hardwired killers even before they are full grown cats , and the dragon and the cat will never be friends EVER.

I see this happen all too often , and it ALWAYS ends badly and bloodily for the dragon (or other lizard). For every Utube video of a staged / faked set up video of a cat and a dragon being buddies and cosying up to each other , there is a maybe 1000 cases where puss maimed, tortured and killed (if not immediately) a lizard/dragon , these you wont see on Utube (because of their filters and the loopy catlover brigade soon see to it they are removed).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
syd93":2z6fldts said:
Hi my cat Sterling gave birth to 6 kittens but I was going to keep one very friendly kitten I named Sylvia. So can a tiny kitten and a tiny beardie grow up to be friends or is a bearded dragon out of the question?
NO .

They are natural enemies , the dragon is prey , the cat the apex predator . That will never change.

Mysty

Juvie Member
No, they cant be friends as even if your cats are ignoring beardie now, it only takes one playful or instinctful moment to cause serious injury.

Keep them seperaye and use a viv lock. Of course you can keep all your pets, but please never fall into the 'my cat wouldn't hurt him,' trap.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
syd93":bw3cf0sl said:
EllenD":bw3cf0sl said:

Well I have a baby beardie now and Sylvia hasn't even noticed the lizard, in facts she's sleeping beside me as i type, even the adult cat i have totally ignores the beardie, doesn't break in the vivarium (which is hard to open even for me so my cat doesn't have a chance of opening it either). She doesn't even sleep in the lid, but i know there is a risk, that's why for the 1st few days i'd close the door when i'm not in the room to prevent an accident. I love having my kitten in my room, but i will watching her closely if she tries anything to the baby, for now she hardly notices the lizard

Oh .... the cat WILL attack , ONE DAY .

It only takes a moment , cats are sneeky , and you can bet it's stalking the hatchling in it's viv when ever you are out of sight , you can bet your house on that.
Cats also get jealous too and will attack other pets out of malice.

Consider yourself warned.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Oh .... the cat WILL attack , ONE DAY .

It only takes a moment , cats are sneeky , and you can bet it's stalking the hatchling in it's viv when ever you are out of sight , you can bet your house on that.
Cats also get jealous too and will attack other pets out of malice.

Consider yourself warned.

Absolutely correct Knobbys, and if I'm being honest, the way people just ignore what they've been told will eventually happen without a doubt, and just allow their cats to not only be in the same room as their bearded dragon's enclosure, but they actually allow multiple cats to hang out around the beardie's enclosure, on top of the beardie's enclosure, etc. is both frustrating and saddening. How many people have to tell you that just the appearance of a cat can cause your bearded dragon tremendous stress before you take this seriously? You have absolutely no idea what your bearded dragon is thinking or feeling, and when he suddenly stops eating, becomes lethargic, starts losing weight, etc. you'll then be wondering what's wrong with him and thinking he's "sick", when if fact he's just been horribly stressed by multiple cats hanging out around his enclosure day and night.

They're your pets and obviously we can't force you to heed our warnings, but I would ask you to go to the main forum page, go to the search bar, and just search "cat". Maybe reading the hundreds of posts from people who had been keeping their cats and their dragon together in the same room for months and months or even years without an issue, and suddenly their dragon just stopped eating, etc. will wake you up...or how about the hundreds of posts where someone had been keeping their cat and their beardie separate for months or years, even in separate rooms with a latching door that the cat was never allowed in, so they were doing everything that you should be doing, and even after doing this for years with no problem suddenly one day the cat got into the room somehow, or the beardie ran out of the room somehow, it happens every day, and they finally found their beardie hiding under the couch or in the back of a closet after a week of it being missing, beaten and tortured and bloody, missing feet, legs, arms, it's entire tail, with gaping wounds exposing internal organs, bite marks the entire way through their skull into their mouth, missing eyes, you name it...and a lot of these injuries on one beardie...maybe viewing the hundreds of photos that we view almost every day of permanently handicapped or suffering, dying, or dead bearded dragons that were stalked, tortured, literally ripped apart, or killed by their loving cat or cats will wake you up and finally convince you to do the safe, responsible thing for your bearded dragon, which is keeping his enclosure in a room with a latching door that is 100% off limits to any of your multiple cats...please also read the dozens and dozens if not hundreds of stories from people who had an enclosure with "a locking lid" or "locking, latching doors"...

The bottom line is that you might go on for days, weeks, months, or even years the way you are, not having a clue how your beardie is being effected by your cats being around his enclosure and in plain sight all the time, but with no "physical attacks" so you'll think everything is fine and we're crazy...then one day something happens, like the girl who posted just this week where her only cat, who was kept separate, somehow got a hold of her beardie while she was cleaning it's enclosure, something she had done multiple times without issue...and I guarantee it will happen to you because you arrogantly keep multiple cats in the same room as your bearded dragon.

It's such a simple thing to do, keeping the dragon in a room with a latching door that is off limits to your cats. It removes 99% of the risk you create by having a beardie and a cat or cats in the first place. So why not just do it and ensure the life of your dragon? It makes no sense to me at all, as it seems like simple common sense to do it...as Knobbys already said, you've been warned...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom