Can i use this light???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buddyboybob2

Hi so i just wanted to know if i can use this light its called Producer's PRIDE red heat bulbs i got it from tractor supply co. Also quick side question my dragons back is darker than normal *until i give him a bath* and i also give him a bath every day is that ok?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wouldn't use a red light. For basking, I like to use a PAR38 halogen flood light. They are nice and bright and produce plenty of heat. I get them at my local farm supply store as well. If there is a chicken section you can pick up a brooder dome fixture which will work well if you don't already have a fixture for it.

They darken to absorb light/heat. If the bath is warm, it's probably causing him to be warm enough to lighten and start to reflect light/heat. It's normal behavior for them and is OK as long as you're providing enough heat in his basking areas so he can get warm enough and also providing areas where he can go to cool off a bit if he wants to. If he's OK with baths, go for it. Some of them like baths and others don't If he doesn't like the bath then I wouldn't offer one unless he gets stinky or dirty because it's not worth the stress.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
A bright white basking bulb works best. You can buy halogen bulb at your local hardware store or you can get reptile basking bulb but they are a tad more pricier due to the name.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
No, do not use those red heat bulbs, #1 beardies see in color and any colored bulbs can cause a lot of issues, so no night bulbs at all, they need total darkness, and no blue, red, yellow, green, or any other colored bulbs at all, only bright white.

As a side note, the red heat bulbs you're talking about are for poultry, like chicks and ducklings, and they are meant to be used outdoors in large aluminum clamp lamps over baby chicks, they throw an awful lot of heat, regardless of the wattage. They are extremely bright and obnoxious in color, almost blinding, as they have to be to keep chicks warm outdoors in the cold. So please don't use them over your bearded dragon, the color will no doubt hurt his eyes, and may cause a lot of other issues.

You only need a regular household bright white halogen lightbulb or an indoor halogen flood bulb for his basking light, that's it, the ones that cost $1 or so. Like you buy at Lowes, Home Depot, or Walmart. No need for expensive basking bulbs from a pet shop or Tractor Supply at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom