Sense of smell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kdav1207

Hi!
I recently got an adult female beardie and am wondering if they're affected by smells at all. Her setup is near the kitchen and I tend to cook at night while she's covered up, will the smell of my cooking affect her?
Thanks!

PrettyinPurple

Hatchling Member
This is a very interesting question, I never thought of this :shock: I feel like I've read somewhere that they smell/taste with their tongues, so maybe the smell of your yummy food will make her more hungry :lol:

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
From my understanding they have a good sense of smell, but I doubt kitchen cooking smells will negatively affect her.
I know many new care givers will provide a worn shirt as a bed so they can get accustomed to the human smell and help create a bond.
That being said, they investigate further with their tongue via the jacobson's organ

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Hmm, I don't think the smell will affect her too much, but I wonder...do you use teflon (non-stick pans)? I know the fumes put out by it are deadly to birds, and actually bad for us humans too, but I wonder if it would affect our beardies. Maybe someone with more knowledge on this can add something.

Kdav1207

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies!
It hasn't seemed to bother her, but I only use stainless steel pans and have the fan going to make sure it doesn't get straight to her. I think the only effect would be that she thinks she's getting food out of me?

PrettyinPurple

Hatchling Member
Yeah, haha if she starts associating the smell with getting fed that could be an issue :lol: I would say just don't feed her after cooking because they very easily start to pick up on patterns! Either feed her before or wait until the smell dissipates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom