Adult or baby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kellen

i'm looking at getting my first bearded dragon after a lot of research! I've read that the youngsters take a lot of care, attention and feeding but i kind of want a younger dragon as i feel i will have a lot stronger bond with someone i've reared from a baby.

only downside to this is i work full time, and i work different shifts. sometimes i will start at 4:30am and finish at 2:30pm, other times i will work from 2:30pm until 11pm or 9am till 6pm. so obviously i wouldnt be around much of the day but the times i am normally home i spend with my pets.

just some advice on what would be a better purchase taking into consideration my working hours, from someone that currently owns a bearded dragon!

Thanks very much, kellen :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Kellen....you might opt for a larger baby, like a 10" that is already quite hardy and past the really delicate stage. Your work hours would still allow for 2 feedings per day, and if you got bugs like Phoenix worms and dubia roaches, they can be left in a bowl to be eaten at any time. A bowl of veggies in the tank would help, too.

Don't rule out an older dragon, if you get one from a reutable breeder or even from a local person selling one you can ask questions + for pics to see how the dragon tolerates handling. Some are mellow as babies, some not....some are mellow as sub adults + adults, some not.

Will you be looking online or locally ? Do you have any reptile shows in your area ? [ Google to find out ]

kellen

Original Poster
AHBD":2loj9lyn said:
Hi Kellen....you might opt for a larger baby, like a 10" that is already quite hardy and past the really delicate stage. Your work hours would still allow for 2 feedings per day, and if you got bugs like Phoenix worms and dubia roaches, they can be left in a bowl to be eaten at any time. A bowl of veggies in the tank would help, too.

Don't rule out an older dragon, if you get one from a reutable breeder or even from a local person selling one you can ask questions + for pics to see how the dragon tolerates handling. Some are mellow as babies, some not....some are mellow as sub adults + adults, some not.

Will you be looking online or locally ? Do you have any reptile shows in your area ? [ Google to find out ]

I don't have any shows in my area, I do have a reptile center but was looking at getting them from a local breeder, they look very healthy but haven't seen them in person yet I am going to look this week. They will be ready in 2 weeks time! Another thing is the babies are quite expensive to keep due to the amount they eat but I'm willing to spend the money, it's just what's best for the dragon. Wouldn't want a younger one if I can't keep it in the best conditions possible! But if 2 times a day feed is fine with some greens and it would fit in with work hours then it might seem like the best option for me.

Mysty

Juvie Member
Personally I would not consider a young baby to be suitable for these working hours. They require 3xlive feeds daily which gradually reduces to 3xlive feeds weekly by adulthood.

There are many unwanted beardies of all ages for sale and adoption. If you consider adopting locally, visit the home and check the health, alertness and temperament of the beardie.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh, that's good if you have someone local. :) Babies can be fed even more often than twice a day, but at least twice a day live food is recommended. Once they've eaten a large meal of 15-30 bugs they need to stay in the tank where the heat is for 2-3 hrs. to digest the food and it can't be too late in the day.

So when you say they're ready to go in 2 weeks, how old will they be ?

kellen

Original Poster
AHBD":3o1hnirp said:
Oh, that's good if you have someone local. :) Babies can be fed even more often than twice a day, but at least twice a day live food is recommended. Once they've eaten a large meal of 15-30 bugs they need to stay in the tank where the heat is for 2-3 hrs. to digest the food and it can't be too late in the day.

So when you say they're ready to go in 2 weeks, how old will they be ?
They will be 8and a half weeks old hypo het trans bearded dragons. So when you say it can't be too late in the day, my 2:30pm till 11pm shift won't be any good for a young bearded dragon?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The feedings would have to be before you leave at 2:30, which is doable. 11:30 p.m is way too late. You could feed the baby at 8:30 or 9:00 a.m and then again right before you leave for work.

A 2 month old can be average 7 -10". Try to pick a larger but calmer baby. :)

kellen

Original Poster
Mysty":oelrbzh6 said:
Personally I would not consider a young baby to be suitable for these working hours. They require 3xlive feeds daily which gradually reduces to 3xlive feeds weekly by adulthood.

There are many unwanted beardies of all ages for sale and adoption. If you consider adopting locally, visit the home and check the health, alertness and temperament of the beardie.

I hear people say 2 is doable but obviously I want the best for the bearded dragon once I get it! I obviously want to read it from a baby but if you don't think that's doable like you said I may have to reconsider!

kellen

Original Poster
AHBD":32u288k7 said:
Two live feedings is very doable, I raised lots of babies from the egg.

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29884/full

An adult is definitely easier though, and is worth considering as Mysty noted .
Makes me very optimistic hearing this! Just because it's what I'd love to do! I will definitely consider adopting an older bearded dragon still though after some more consideration and second opinions

Permutation

Hatchling Member
I would say rescue. We have done both and love all of our guys but if you find one that needs a home it can be extra special. The one we raised from a baby has attitude because he's known nothing but luxury but the rescues we have had have all been loving and extra social. This is just my experience I'm sure others can state otherwise but it never hurts to give a life a chance at a good life its never had or has been taken away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom