Horn worms

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
How often can hornworms be fed?
Also, can anyone answer simply, with reptisun 10.0 t8 (inside mounted) how many inches should the bulb be from where your beardie can reach, or the area he tends to hang out?

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
The Reptisun T8 UVB tube should be a minimum of 8" from your beardie, unobstructed by any type of mesh, glass, or anything else. The T5 is a minimum of 11".

As far as hornworms go, I can't really help you out, as I've only fed them as an occasional treat, and the most any of my guys have eaten at one time was 2-3. Are you feeding them as a staple, or as a treat? They are very filling, and a lot of this depends on what size hornworms you're feeding them, because a large hornworm can fill up a small to medium sized beardie. Hopefully someone else with experience feeding hornworms on a regular basis can help.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I only offer one at a time. Two if he's still looking really hungry/interested. They are relatively healthy but pretty big/filling. They're a good option on regular rotation with silks and dubias.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I can't get silks, he won't eat dubia, only supers. You think the improper distance of uvb is slowing his appetite? I find it hard you tell as he has no problem eating "junk food." But if course i intend to address that uvb

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The distance of the bulb is fine, and you might even put a bit of aluminum foil behind to increase the uvb if you don't already.

But the eating is just because he has his favorites and most dragons hold out for those. With adults you can with hold the bugs and offer only salad and then after a week offer dubias or something other than just the worms.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
There's a reflector behind it. But in that pic is only 6 inches from his head, and obviously a greater distance when he's elsewhere. It's also a T8. Did i say that? Cooper dragon said i should switch to t5??? Also i have with held bugs before, longest was 5 days, he still wouldn't eat roaches. Guess I'll try a week.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It depends on how much time he spends near enough to the bulb. I have had dragons set up with the t8 at that distance who did fine. If you want to go for the HO t5 that's fine but I don't think there's any rush.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ok thanks. I'm also (for now) gonna add a larger log that will allow him to get higher

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom