Basking/Open Mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I have heard that when beardies gape while basking they are regulating their temperature. I've also read that it means they are too hot...mine gapes under a temp between 95-100...

This is Tyler at 101-102...I know temps for them should be in the 104-110 range but when I do that he leaves the basking spot and goes elsewhere...he's 6 months old.

Some information or thoughts/directions would be a big help.
92462-7133961618.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, a basking temp. of 100 is fine , it's what he prefers. Dragons don't actually need it up to 110, very few will bask at that temp. for any length of time, especially as they get bigger.

CharlotteM

Original Poster
Awesome! That's along the lines of what I was thinking. As long as it is at least 100 and he's getting solid UV exposure he's all good. Thanks so much!

PrettyinPurple

Hatchling Member
I know this is from a couple days ago, but I wanted to add that my beardie (Mouse) does the same exact thing. She wouldn't actually bask unless the tank was in the 90s. If it reached 100 degrees, she wouldn't go near the warm side of her tank and she would sit there with her mouth open, looking visibly uncomfortable.

Beardeddtagonlover

Hatchling Member
awesome thats how you know if you basking temps are spot on just provide a cool area of no more then 85 degrees f but 80 be ideal beardies are smart animals if you basking area is too hot your beardie wont go to bask and will stay in the botttom or in the cold side and vice versa if its not hot enough your beardie will just stay up there all day thats how you know, my beardie likes temps between 95 to 105 whenever i adjust hes basking area i need to see him gasp and i know the temps are perfect lol,but at the same time i dont go to extremes towards the end of my beardies day 600 pm it starts cooling down and thats when my ac cools the house a bit more so at that point no more gasping but he gets a good basking temps for at least 8 hours per day.
97755-6697247396.jpg
with this new enclosure im moving him tomorrow afternoon the basking temps seem to be very stable at 95 to 105 the ac does not play a factor here it seems he should be getting more stable temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom