Relationship with my beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I have had Leo for over a year now, and he is my first lizard. I have grown up with cats, dogs and horses and I know exactly how to tell if they like you. I'm an animal lover, I have issues that don't allow me to connect easily with people, and so animals have been my friends and companions for my whole life. I decided to get a bearded dragon because I wanted a new challenge. I researched them, took 12 pages of notes( I'm a little too studious), got the right setup and verified it with many sources and then got Leo. I've had a lot of fun with him, but I wonder from time to time if he actually likes me. I take him out as much as I can during the summer, give him baths, feed him his favorite bugs, and take him out to cuddle sometimes. According to what your "supposed to be doing" I'm doing everything right. But I guess my question is how do I tell if Leo likes me, enjoys his life, and is happy? All I want is to be a good mom to all my animals and make sure they are happy. Is there any way I can tell that he's happy and that he likes me? I realize that may be an odd question, but any input is appreciated.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
After a while of being together you can start to read their mannerisms. They are visual communicators so you look for body language. A bright colored beard usually means happy/content while a jet black beard means irritation or illness or territorial defense depending on the situation. If they run around with their tail straight up then they are usually content and exploring. As far as if they like you or not, I think they become OK with handling and don't try to squirm away too much and they will come to you for food and sometimes for protection (again, depending on the situation). Each dragon is a bit different so their mannerisms will vary so nothing is set in stone. If Leo is active and growing then he is probably pretty content. I try to provide as much enrichment as possible. Lots of time outside the tank to roam around and explore with portable basking spots around the house. A dog bed in the window sill to give comfortable time looking outside. Trips outside when the weather is nice. A good variety of food offered and once favorites are discovered they become regular treats. I'm not sure if that answers your question exactly but the answer will vary depending on the dragon and who you ask.

Ashgrove13

Original Poster
Thanks so much! That really helps! I think I will try to make some basking spots around my house so he can chill somewhere else so a while.

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Good way to know if he likes you is through is behavior. Have you tried hand feeding Leo? That is one of the best ways to build trust/bond between you and your beardie :D Also, if he is not attacking you or being aggressive than Leo likes you.

Ashgrove13

Original Poster
Reptilelady":1bl4cvp6 said:
Good way to know if he likes you is through is behavior. Have you tried hand feeding Leo? That is one of the best ways to build trust/bond between you and your beardie :D Also, if he is not attacking you or being aggressive than Leo likes you.
I actually have started hand feeding bits of collard greens to him! It took him a bit, but he eats out of my hand now!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Dragons love their slaves in a much different kind of way. I feel that when they look forward to you handling them (cuddle time), this is a sign that you have been accepted as a friend. If Leo isn't running from you, hissing or, blackbearding you, you're cool!
I talk to my dragon and, she cocks her head at me as if to say, "really :shock: "!!! She holds on tight to my hand and, won't let go when I go to put her in her sleepy spot and, looks up at me and, falls back to sleep in my hand. I love my dragon, if she loves me back doesn't matter. I know she misses me when I'm not home!
They are quirky and, amazing little critters to say the least.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree with all the helpful statements. :) Just wanted to add that another reason for a jet black beard in males is that they can be eager to breed even with no mate around.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Gormagon":7wwl59ak said:
Dragons love their slaves in a much different kind of way. I feel that when they look forward to you handling them (cuddle time), this is a sign that you have been accepted as a friend. If Leo isn't running from you, hissing or, blackbearding you, you're cool!
I talk to my dragon and, she cocks her head at me as if to say, "really :shock: "!!! She holds on tight to my hand and, won't let go when I go to put her in her sleepy spot and, looks up at me and, falls back to sleep in my hand. I love my dragon, if she loves me back doesn't matter. I know she misses me when I'm not home!

I also talk to my beardies and bluetongues , I did the same to my water skinks , and also to the resident wild skinks (mostly water skinks and delicate blown skinks).

My pet skinks (bluetongues and water skinks) and beardies have all become uberaffectionate and all love long mommy and daddy snuggles (my water skinks and Toothless are very much daddy's lizards, if my wife is giving one of them a snuggle and I sit down next to her or somewhere nearby on the modular lounge , they immediately crawl / climb of her and come to me and look up to ask (pick me up daddy I want to have a snuggle from you now).

Handfeeding is a fabulous way to form a great and very tight bond with a lizard.

I also handfeed my local resident wild skinks , don't take them very long to learn to trust you if you aways come outside with some mealworms or crickets to toss to them.... my tribe of resident water skinks are so tame around me that they now seek me out when I'm outside (gardening, tinkering in the shed, chilling in the sun or the shade on my front or back steps) and ask me for yummy worms (by staring at me and doing those cut tail wriggles and head nods , if I get out the worm tub and take the lid off I've been known to be mobbed by over a dozen skinks who are crawl oven / under , through my legs while I''m sitting on the grass or a garden path and literally trying to climb in the tub to get those delicious worms and taking them from my fingers (I make them take turns , they know the rules and are very patient so long as I stick to the system (a few worms for her, same for the other one, same for "me" , same for the next one .... they wont let me short change them (I'm sure they can count a shortchanged lizard gives me the stare, and will often nudge me .... "well ? where is it hooman ?")

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
kingofnobbys":1bvkb6i5 said:
Gormagon":1bvkb6i5 said:

I also talk to my beardies and bluetongues , I did the same to my water skinks , and also to the resident wild skinks (mostly water skinks and delicate blown skinks).

My pet skinks (bluetongues and water skinks) and beardies have all become uberaffectionate and all love long mommy and daddy snuggles (my water skinks and Toothless are very much daddy's lizards, if my wife is giving one of them a snuggle and I sit down next to her or somewhere nearby on the modular lounge , they immediately crawl / climb of her and come to me and look up to ask (pick me up daddy I want to have a snuggle from you now).

Handfeeding is a fabulous way to form a great and very tight bond with a lizard.

I also handfeed my local resident wild skinks , don't take them very long to learn to trust you if you aways come outside with some mealworms or crickets to toss to them.... my tribe of resident water skinks are so tame around me that they now seek me out when I'm outside (gardening, tinkering in the shed, chilling in the sun or the shade on my front or back steps) and ask me for yummy worms (by staring at me and doing those cut tail wriggles and head nods , if I get out the worm tub and take the lid off I've been known to be mobbed by over a dozen skinks who are crawl oven / under , through my legs while I''m sitting on the grass or a garden path and literally trying to climb in the tub to get those delicious worms and taking them from my fingers (I make them take turns , they know the rules and are very patient so long as I stick to the system (a few worms for her, same for the other one, same for "me" , same for the next one .... they wont let me short change them (I'm sure they can count a shortchanged lizard gives me the stare, and will often nudge me .... "well ? where is it hooman ?")
It's those little things like that that do it for me!???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom